CAMPION enjoyed a record attendance as they moved up to second in Northern Counties East League Division One after cruising to a 6-0 home win over Retford, who were immediately below them in the table.

Free admission on Non-League Day and a link-up with anti-racism organisation Kick It Out helped swell the crowd to 421 at Scotchman Road.

The Red and Blacks were in fourth spot and above their fifth-placed visitors on goal difference only. James Bicknell and Lee Ashforth’s side sent down a marker to their promotion rivals with the big win.

Mohammad Qasim broke the deadlock on the quarter hour mark and Aiden Day added just before the half hour to give the home side a two-goal lead at the break.

The contest was over before the hour mark as Danny Facey and Ben Bodie netted within a five-minute spell. The next two goals were also a quickfire double as Qasim bagged his brace in the 65th minute before Leon Hurles-Brook made it half a dozen just three minutes later.

Liversedge did the double over Silsden in the NCEL Premier Division as they won 2-1 at Clayborn just a week after a 3-1 win at the Cobbydale Construction Stadium.

Sedge only just made it six points from six as they needed a last-gasp winner from skipper Tom Jackson to secure their second derby win in rapid time.

Joe Walton had given the home side a fourth-minute lead but the sides were level at the break after Laurence Sorhaindo had equalised ten minutes before the interval. The last-minute winner lifted Jonathan Rimmington’s men to second place.

Thackley stayed within three points of Sedge as Pat McGuire’s men heaped more misery on basement boys Athersley Recreation. The Dennyboys were 4-0 winners at the Barnsley club.

Adam Muller broke the deadlock in the 10th minute and Jerry White doubled the Dennyboys’ lead midway through the first half. Asa Mitchell netted early in the second half and the scoring was wrapped up ten minutes from time through substitute Ben Grech-Brooksbank.

Eccleshill United should have hosted Garforth Town in the West Riding County Cup in midweek and, although that tie was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, they hosted the Leeds outfit in the league on Saturday.

Lee Elam’s side may be wishing that had also been called off as they suffered a 2-1 defeat and dropped two places down to 13th. After a goalless first half Jonny Irving gave the Eagles the lead but Dan Coupland equalised before Mark Simpson hit an 88th-minute winner.

Albion Sports also suffered a home defeat after visitors Handsworth staged a late recovery. Albion led at the break thanks to a Roy Fogarty strike and they doubled their advantage through Luke Aldrich just after the hour mark.

But Leon Osborne began the visitors’ comeback in the 73rd minute and he completed it with a goal just into stoppage time after Leon Howarth had netted an 87th minute penalty.

Brighouse Town’s Buildbase FA Trophy tie at Tadcaster Albion and Steeton’s away game at Ashton Town in the North West Counties Division One North fell foul of the recent heavy rain.