Keighley 17 Goole 42

KEIGHLEY totally dominated possession and territory in the first half yet still managed to turn around 14 points down in this Yorkshire Division One clash.

Both teams started well, eventually Keighley, with a dominant scrum and centres Sean Kelly and Rich Tillotson, cutting good lines gained ascendancy.

Against the run of play Goole forced a handling error, the ball was kicked and chased and the award of a justified penalty try.

Keighley with forwards James Fox, Leigh Sugden and Shaun Minikin driving the hard yards gained a firm foothold in opposition territory.

A well supported line break by full-back Matty Langstaff allowed winger Chris Stead to use his strength to cross for a well-earned try.

Once again the home team dominated territory; Goole struggling at scrum time did well to handle the pressure.

Not committing too many players to the breakdown gave them a stable defence that allowed them to cope with whatever Keighley had to offer.

Keighley’s lack of composure allowed Goole to swiftly breakout of defence and a simple try for substitute Will Devenish, converted by outside-half Rhys Moore.

Towards the end of the half the Goole backs managed to pierce the Keighley defence and a try under the posts for Moore who also added the conversion.

In the second half Goole had a comfortable points cushion and Keighley were forced to chase the game.

Playing fast and loose, Keighley lost the ball in the wide open spaces and a centre Matty Lill raced down the touchline to score in the corner; Moore did well to land the difficult conversion.

Goole expanded their game and some crisp handling gave support runner wing forward Jack Smith a try in the corner, again converted by Moore.

With the game slipping away Keighley managed a series of forward drives that finished with a thoroughly deserved try for second row Fox, converted by outside half Grayson Tihema.

It was Keighley’s turn to be put under pressure. However, Goole lost the ball in contact giving Keighley winger Jake Hill the opportunity to break out down the wing, a quick pass inside and a try for Tillotson. Keighley stirred into action raised their game.

Unfortunately their efforts went unrewarded when a loose pass was scooped up by substitute forward Will Townend who scored, Moore finished the scoring off with a well-taken conversion.

Keighley, with a possession and territorial advantage, should have done much better, slow defensive line speed and organisation gave Goole too much time and space, that ended in a well-deserved victory.

The defeat leaves Keighley second-from-bottom on five points, the same number as Pontefract and Hullensians, who are either side of them in the table. Danny McGee's side have won just one of their opening five games of the season, losing the other four, with a -100 points difference.

Keighley: Gibson, Hampson, Smith, Hannah, Fox, Minikin, Sugden, McLaughlin, Marshall, Tihema, Kelly, Tillotson, Stead, Langstaff, Atkinson. Replacements: Spencer, Uren, Ebbrell.