Peterborough Sports 1 Guiseley 0

THERE will be no repeat of last season’s Emirates FA Cup heroics for Marcus Bignot and Russ O’Neill’s Guiseley after they were knocked out of the competition as their hosts netted a last-gasp winner.

The Lions roared through to the second round proper last term before they went out to Joey Barton’s Fleetwood Town in a televised game at Nethermoor. Their exploits earned the club a sum that ran into the hundreds of thousands of pounds.

This season’s third qualifying round handed the Lions a banana skin of a tie against Peterborough Sports that presented a long trip into Cambridgeshire and a tough game against a club from just one step lower on the football pyramid.

The Southern League Premier Division Central club, nicknamed the Turbines, blew the Lions away with a dramatic stoppage time strike after a close contest.

The home side had the first chance but Cameron Johnson sent his shot just wide of the top corner of Marcus Dewhurst’s goal.

Guiseley’s Lee Shaw went even closer later in the goalless first half. A good move culminated in a ball from Kaine Felix, finding the on loan Chesterfield striker, but his shot hit the post of Peterborough Sports goalkeeper Lewis Moat’s goal.

The visitors, who play their football in the Vanarama National North and are riding high in that division, enjoyed a bright start to the second half and appeared to have weathered the storm.

The Turbines, however, were not cowed and they enjoyed a good spell themselves later in the second half. Jimmy Dean’s side created some chances and put pressure on the Lions’ defence.

Maniche Sani went close with one of those efforts. He had come off the bench late in the first half and had proved to be a handful. He was also Peterborough Sports’ hero as he netted the late goal that put the Turbines into the fourth qualifying round for the first time.

Joint-manager O’Neill said, “We’re massively disappointed with the result and the performance.

“Minutes before getting a replay - which we’d talked about at half time, resilient clubs hold on and take the tie back when they’re not at their best. But then we made a silly decision in the middle of the pitch and it cost us a replay.

“We did miss Aaron (Martin, who is suspended) he’s our leading scorer who wouldn’t miss their leading scorer? But we’ve only got ourselves to blame – we knew what to expect and we knew it was the FA Cup and you only get one chance in the cup.”