STEETON progressed into the second round of the West Riding County Cup with a convincing 2-0 win over Albion Sports at Cougar Park on Tuesday night.

Two cracking second half strikes from Kayle Price and Andy Briggs secured the win for the hosts, who began to dominate as the game wore on.

In a fairly even opening, both sides had chances to break the deadlock, but neither keeper was really troubled.

Steeton then started to cause the majority of problems, as Toby Jeffrey proved a thorn in the Albion defence.

He looked to get beyond Jack McGahan at every opportunity and it was his cross that Tawonga Gumboh headed narrowly wide.

Jeffrey turned provider again as his cross was met by Briggs, whose header was well saved by Matthew Smith.

Kayle Price then just failed to get on the end of Gumboh’s ball at the back post and Alistair Morgan headed over Jeffrey’s corner, as Steeton looked to get a foothold in the game.

The deadlock was broken in the 50th minute as Price unleashed a volley from the edge of the box that gave Smith no chance.

Price nearly doubled the lead a minute later, but his effort was just too high after he had done the initial hard work of turning his marker.

It was Briggs who did make it 2-0 five minutes later. Cutting in from the right, he curled a shot beyond Smith and gave Steeton the breathing space their play deserved.

Ryan Canning almost made it three from another dangerous Jeffrey corner but his close range effort was straight at Smith, when a foot either side would have resulted in a goal.

At the other end, Danny Thorpe had to be quickly off his line to avert a breakaway attack and Tom Leach got a great block in as the visitors looked to find a way back into the match.

As the game moved into the closing stages, it was Steeton who looked the more likely and with Tim Hird and Jack Richmond winning the midfield battle, they pushed Albion back for large periods. The latter also went close with a late curling effort.

It was Steeton’s night though, as they recorded back to back wins and their third clean sheet on the bounce.

Elsewhere, Thackley also won their County Cup clash, beating Knaresborough Town 2-0 with goals from Raymond Sibanda in the 66th minute and Paul Whiteley in the 74th minute.

But Campion and Liversedge will have to try again, after their first round clash was postponed.