March 2017: CITY 2 (Wyke 85,90) SWINDON 1 (Ajose 75)

UNTIL last month, it represented City’s last come-from-behind victory at Valley Parade.

Before Northampton, and then Carlisle, it had been a long wait to sample the sweet feeling of a comeback win on home turf.

City’s last meeting with Saturday’s visitors Swindon served up one of those special finales for any fan.

Down with five minutes to go and seemingly out, euphoric when the final whistle blew having turned the scoreline on its head.

No wonder Stuart McCall celebrated in the same crazed manner as those partying in the stands.

“You’re asking the wrong man, pal” he joked when asked by a reporter afterwards how a manager stays calm in that situation.

To watch McCall lose it in the emotion of the moment demonstrated the universal joy at City’s ultimate escape act – and what it meant for a team heading for the League One play-offs.

Despite the lateness of their goals, it had been no smash-and-grab act from the home side.

They had bossed it virtually all afternoon without figuring a way past Robins keeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

Having been axed from the previous game, Vigouroux responded with an act of one-man defiance to keep the Bantams at bay.

The woodwork came to his rescue when Wyke rattled a first-half header against the post but otherwise the keeper seemed to have an answer to everything thrown his way.

Rory McArdle was frustrated on a couple of occasions with close-range headers from set-pieces; one by a stunning tip-over from Vigoroux as Valley Parade prepared to leap to its feet.

City were still unbeaten in their own backyard, although a dozen of those games had ended in draws.

Another was looking on the cards – or even worse when Swindon suddenly struck out of nothing on the counter-attack.

A fast, four-pass break shifted play from one end to the other end with Jonathan Obika sliding in Nicky Ajose to fire past Colin Doyle.

The relegation-threatened visitors couldn’t believe their luck. But the response from both home team and crowd was magnificent.

As the volume and intensity picked up, City hit back 10 minutes later.

Mark Marshall, a constant menace on either flank, pinged in a precise cross from the right wing and Wyke gleefully rammed in the header.

Romain Vincelot raced into the net to retrieve the ball amid the general jubilation and led the sprint back to the halfway line. City were not done yet.

The pressure paid off in added time as Marshall's low ball into the mix was met by a scrum of bodies.

Nathan Thompson tried to drag the shirt off Alex Jones but the substitute striker kept his prone body in the way of the ball to allow it to squirm free for Wyke, who calmly performed a little drag-back before slotting into the empty net as bedlam ensued.

CITY: Doyle, McMahon, McArdle, Vincelot, Knight-Percival, Meredith, Dieng (Clarke 62), Cullen, Marshall (Darby 89), Wyke, Hiwula (Jones 62).

SWINDON: Vigouroux, Thompson, Dabo (Barry 46), Branco, Conroy, Gladwin (Norris 73), Ince, Colkett, Goddard, Ajose, Obika.

REFEREE: Seb Stockbridge