Otley 27

Stourbridge 31

A LATE surge by Otley came up short against Stourbridge, but Otley they secured a losing bonus point in the National League Two North encounter at Cross Green on Saturday.

Otley started the brighter with Ben Magee troubling the Stourbridge defence, his run from within his own half being the opening highlight.

Two penalties, both taken by Ben Smith, gave Otley an early lead after 12 minutes.

However, two minutes later Stourbridge snaffled Otley’s line-out and they then worked the ball across the pitch for winger Dan Rundle to score, Chris Scott converting.

They extended their lead after winning their own line-out, again going across the pitch for Afeafe Haisila to score.

Brett Mitchell broke through the visitor’s defence from which Otley tried to score, but faltered after a forward pass.

However, they did score after Henry Roberts burst through and in the scramble Stourbridge were penalised for not rolling away.

The ball was put into the left-hand corner and, having secured the line-out, a series of pick and drives brought Otley closer to the posts.

Harry Skelton then moved the ball wide, Roberts spotting a gap to run through to score, and Smith converted.

In the second half, both sides had chances, a Josh Hall pass was deliberately knocked on, but inexplicably a yellow card was not given which could have seen Otley regaining the lead.

The penalty hit the upright, and although Otley caught the ball they could not capitalise on the rebound.

Just after the hour, Stourbridge, having got out of their half, worked their way to Otley’s line.

Their No 8, Joe Collingham, broke off from the back of his pack, passing to Joe Heatley to squeeze his way through into the corner.

Three minutes later they were back, George Morgan and Dan Rundle working their way down the left-hand flank, the latter scoring and Scott getting his fourth conversion.

With eight minutes left, Scott added a penalty after Otley were caught offside in their 22.

Otley kicked off again, and in clearing their lines Stourbridge were in front of the kicker.

Otley put the ball into the scoreboard corner three times as the visitors continued to infringe.

Taking a short line-out, Otley reduced the deficit when Mitchell crashed over.

In the closing moments, Joe Rowntree and Roberts broke through to set up Jack Mackie in the corner to get Otley within four points.

Stourbridge ended the game after Otley tried to launch one final attack, but knocked on. After the scrum, the ball was put into touch.