CLECKHEATON bounced back with a deserved 32-20 victory in North One East over Huddersfield YMCA at a sun-drenched Moorend.

Having lost to Percy Park the previous week, the hosts opened the scoring on three minutes after good driving by the pack and a measured cross-field kick from Dale Breakwell, which found James Wilson. YMCA's defence were committed to the ruck and the ball was spun left for Jack Seddon to stroll over for a first try this season by a Cleckheaton forward. Breakwell added the goal to make it 7-0. Breakwell slotted a 25-metre goal after YMCA were guilty of not releasing in a tackle before YMCA's Sean Barrett crossed for a try from a five-metre scrum, which was converted by Gavin Stead. Cleckheaton scored their second try when quick hands by Breakwell and a lovely pass from Olly Depledge put Seddon in again on 27 minutes to make it 15-7.

On 32 minutes Seddon was penalised for an offence at the ruck and Stead converted the penalty. YMCA took the lead before the break when outside half Alex Bull powered through some ragged tackling as the visitors went in 17-15 up at half-time.

Breakwell narrowly missed a 45-metre penalty and also tried an outrageous drop goal from a similar distance that very nearly made it.

However, Cleck's front row took the ball against the head and Depledge put Wilson in for an unconverted try.

Stead added another penalty to level the scores at 20 apiece, and the last 20 minutes was set to be a thriller.

YMCA got an advantage when Cleck's full back Jack Marshall was sin-binned for slowing the ball down but the hard graft delivered by strength and conditioning coach Lee Queeley in pre-season now came into its own. A fitter-looking Cleckheaton would not be breached despite the disparity in numbers.

A monstrous kick out of defence by Breakwell led to YMCA getting penalised for not releasing. Whilst they were expecting a routine kick at goal, Breakwell took a quick tap and, after exchanging passes with brother Tom, went in for an opportunist try, which also earned Cleck a bonus point. He added the goal to make it 27-20.

Cleckheaton's fifth and last try came on the back of good work from Joey Carley, who made some good yards down the left and handed on to Depledge. The ball was quickly recycled and Danny Booth glided in-field past the defence for a well finished try.

Mikey Hayward put in a good performance at inside centre having stepped up just an hour before the start of the game but Cleckheaton's man of the match was Depledge.