BRADFORD (Park Avenue) hopes of registering a first home win of the season were shattered by old boy Adam Boyes, who netted a stoppage-time equaliser for Spennymoor Town in a 1-1 draw.

The former Horsfall striker pounced in the fourth of five minutes added on after Josh Heaton had steered a header in the direction of keeper Rhys Taylor. The ball bounced in front of the keeper and Boyes stabbed it past him on the half-volley.

It was heartbreaking for Avenue who had defended manfully against some late pressure but it was even more of a sucker punch for Taylor, who had been outstanding throughout.

The big keeper hadn’t been called on often but when needed he was there and he showed his athleticism as he tipped several goal-bound efforts over his bar.

Avenue had led since the 11th minute when Brad Dockerty opened the scoring against their fellow strugglers in the Vanarama National North. Dockerty latched onto a through ball from Avenue skipper Marcus Wood and, as the Moors’ keeper Matt Gould raced out to meet him, his shot clipped the stopper but flew into the net.

Avenue’s interim manager Marcus Law was left to rue the lack of a potent striker in his squad.

He said: “The players worked so hard to try to keep the lead and get that first home win.

“The effort and the work rate has never been in question but we are missing that goal scorer, that focal-point striker who can put the chances away, but they’re expensive and we’ve just missed out on a few deals.

“We’re still working hard to get a settled side and it’s coming together but we are that little bit short, just that one piece of the jigsaw, we are so close to having a side that can compete in this league.

“We had our chances in this game but we’ve got players playing out of position and as good of a job as they are doing, they’re not strikers.

"Rhys has made some good saves but who had the better chances in the game? We did and if we put them away we win the game, the margins are so fine.

“It’s difficult getting things done when you’ve got (training) Tuesday and then Thursday and then another game but the players are responding to what we’re asking from them and we’re working to get a settled side.

“The key is that striker. We’ve made big improvements over recent weeks and that has been clear to see in the last few games but we’ll continue our search for a striker.

"We have a few irons in the fire and we haven’t given up hope of getting a deal done before the cup tie next week.”

Park Avenue’s next game is an Emirates FA Cup second qualifying round tie against Morpeth Town and the draw was kind as Law’s side were handed home advantage against the BetVictor Northern Premier League club.