BRADFORD (Park Avenue) scored their first two home goals of the season but they still failed to bank a point after Telford United edged in front three times in a 3-2 win at the Horsfall Stadium.

It was a setback for Avenue after they had just begun to build some momentum and the loss dropped them back into the bottom two in the Vanarama National North - but on goal difference only - as two of the three clubs below them at the start of the day picked up points.

The last day of August had an autumnal feel - the players from both sides had a strong wind and the blinding glare of a low sun to contend with. They managed well and made it an entertaining game, although true quality was patchy.

Park Avenue’s interim manager Marcus Law said: “I thought our performance was a bit erratic to be honest, especially in the first half.

“We struggled against the wind in that first half and that was down to poor game management. The effort the players put in has never once been in question but in the first half they fell below the standards they have set themselves and that was brought to their attention at half-time.

“The second half was much better from our point of view, to the extent that we’re disappointed not to get anything from the game. I was disappointed with the way Telford’s goals came about. I think we could have defended them better, but we created chances going forward.

“I’m pleased with the overall improvement and with the performance because I thought the game could have gone either way. But we’re not happy scoring two goals at home and losing.”

Avenue could have broken the deadlock as they repelled some early pressure before Telford’s keeper Andy Wycherley pulled off a superb reaction save to deny Lewis Knight.

That was a rare chance for the home side in the first half but it took the Bucks a long time to break down the Avenue defence. Ten minutes before half-time Aaron Williams broke through the inside left channel and his square pass was side footed home by Brendan Daniels, despite home keeper Rhys Taylor getting something on it.

Just eight minutes later, Avenue were level after Lewis Knight had beaten Wycherley to a through ball and slotted in from an angle. But the visitors still took a lead into the interval after an excellent finish from Adam Walker in stoppage time.

Avenue’s flying left wing back Riccardo Calder made it a dead heat for goal of the game when he brought the home side level for a second time. He made space for a shot from just outside the area and then rifled the ball into the top corner before Wycherley could move a muscle.

The Bucks kept asking questions and they had a touch of fortune as they netted a 78th-minute winner. Daniels bagged his brace with a header that came off the post and ran behind Taylor as he scrambled to keep it out but the ball ended up over the line.