FORMER Bantam Josh Wright scored the winner for Leyton Orient as they marked their return to the Football League with a 1-0 victory against Cheltenham on an emotional afternoon.

Wright was late manager Justin Edinburgh's last signing before the 49-year-old's death following a cardiac arrest in early June.

The midfielder, who has had three previous spells at Brisbane Road, scored the only goal after 68 minutes in a game which saw Cheltenham's Luke Varney and Rohan Ince sent off within the space of two minutes in the second half.

Salford beat Stevenage 2-0 in their first ever Football League match.

Emmanuel Dieseruvwe's historic double gave his side a winning start in League

Two in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

Mansfield came back from a two-goal deficit at half-time to secure a 2-2 draw

with Newport despite finishing the game with 10 men after Jacob Mellis' red


Joss Labadie put Newport ahead, before Padraig Amond scored from the spot to

double his side's lead but Mansfield struck back in the second half with goals

from Krystian Pearce and Danny Rose.

A Callum McFadzean double inspired Plymouth to a 3-0 win at Crewe.

First-half goals from McFadzean and Joel Grant gave Plymouth a solid base

before the former added a third in stoppage time to seal the victory.

Swindon began their league campaign with a 2-0 win at Scunthorpe.

Jerry Yates fired the Robins ahead before Keshi Anderson's 70th-minute goal

ensured the win for Swindon.

Grimsby scored two second-half goals in a 2-0 win at Morecambe.

A close range finish from Elliott Whitehouse and an added-time effort from Max

Wright was enough to give the Mariners the points.

Carlisle held on to record a 2-1 win over 10-man Crawley.

Harry McKirdy put Carlisle ahead in the sixth minute and though Beryly Lubala

equalised, Stefan Scougall restored the lead for Carlisle before Lewis Young was

dismissed for Crawley in injury time.

Colchester secured a point in a 1-1 draw with Port Vale, who continued their

unbeaten run on opening day.

Vale have not lost on the first day of the season since 2004 and took the lead

in the fifth minute through Tom Pope's penalty before Luke Norris struck back

for Colchester.

Walsall got off to a winning start under new manager Darrell Clarke, with James

Clarke scoring in his side's 1-0 win over Northampton.

Forest Green also got off to a flier, with substitute Taylor Allen firing in

the only goal of the game to give his side a 1-0 victory over Oldham.

Ryan Bowman secured all three points for Exeter with an 88th-minute strike as

they ground out a 1-0 win over Macclesfield.