September 2012: CITY 3 (Wells 83,90; Darby 115) BURTON 2 (Kee 18; Webster 29)

PHIL Parkinson used to say that Stephen Darby should have his own showreel of goalline clearances.

The defender’s mastery of timing and position to deny nailed-on scoring situations was instrumental in the success of the City history makers.

But one aspect that Darby was not renowned for was goals at the other end. In 239 appearances for the Bantams, he was on the scoresheet just once.

Typically, it was a goal of huge significance – a major step on the road to that incredible day-out at the Capital One Cup final.

As we build up to Liverpool’s sell-out visit to Valley Parade to pay tribute to Darby’s fight against motor neurone disease, this week’s nostalgia match turns the clock back to that soggy September night in 2012.

It was a season when City fans saw more of Burton than their missus – the third-round tie was the first of five meetings between the teams.

Nobody braving the heavy autumn rain would have possibly predicted the drama that would unfold over the season. Nor, the incredible turn of events in the game itself.

Parkinson’s decision to make six changes from his starting line-up, resting front two James Hanson and Nahki Wells, looked to have backfired as Burton went two up inside half an hour.

Billy Kee struck the opener on 18 minutes, firing past Matt Duke from Jack Dyer's cross.

And City were soon in deeper trouble when Burton scored again from their first corner. Aaron Webster headed home at the near post despite Gary Jones's best efforts to keep it off the line.

City had not played badly, creating chances themselves, and cranked up the pressure but could find no way through.

Parkinson called on the cavalry with an hour gone, sending on Hanson, Wells and Kyel Reid to try to retrieve a losing cause.

It was increasingly one-way traffic but future City defender Anthony O’Connor denied Garry Thompson and Hanson before Wells offered a lifeline with seven minutes to go from James Meredith’s through ball.

Duke made a crucial save from Matt Paterson on a Burton break as City threw everyone upfield.

And the gung-ho approach was rewarded in the final minute after the visitors failed to clear a Jones free-kick. Hanson's overhead attempt did not come off but the rebound dropped for Wells to snaffle up from close range.

He struck again in the final minute from a scramble after Burton failed to clear a Jones free-kick.

As the rain continued to teem down, tiredness was setting in and a penalty shoot-out loomed.

But there was to be one more twist in the 115th minute - from the unlikeliest source.

The ball sat up nicely for Darby to let rip from 30 yards with a skidding drive that flew off the soaked surface and past keeper Stuart Tomlinson.

The right back was mobbed by his team-mates; on this occasion celebrating scoring a goal rather than preventing one.

CITY: Duke, Darby, McArdle, Davies, Meredith, Hines (Wells 61), Ravenhill (Reid 60), Jones, Atkinson, Connell (Hanson 61), Thompson.

BURTON: Tomlinson, O’Connor, Diamond, Webster, Stanton (Corbett 46), Bell, McCrory, Dyer, Weir, Kee (Taylor 46), Yussuf (Paterson 80).

REFEREE: Nigel Miller