AUGUST 1980: CITY 1 (Campbell 77) LIVERPOOL 0

FOR fans of a certain age, seeing Liverpool crowned European champions for a sixth time will feel a familiar sight.

Growing up in the 1970s and early 80s, the invincible red machine used to roll over any opposition.

That was apart from one famous night at the beginning of the 1980-81 season when they met their match from the Fourth Division.

Liverpool arrived at Valley Parade at the end of August as the champions of England. They would finish the season by lifting the European Cup for the third time in five years.

Despite losing their domestic title to Aston Villa, Bob Paisley’s side would have the consolation of winning the League Cup.

City, from the bottom tier, had the honour of being the only team to beat them along the way.

Unfortunately, the two-legged format of the early rounds meant Liverpool had the chance to make amends at Anfield – which they would do just six days later.

But nothing could dampen the Bantams’ enthusiasm at toppling such a powerhouse team at the time.

They also became the first club beneath the second tier to beat Liverpool in 90 minutes for 21 years – since Worcester City of the Southern League in 1959.

A Valley Parade crowd of 16,233, the biggest for nearly four years, crammed in to admire the star-studded line-up in red.

These were the days long before the squad rotation that every top-flight manager now employs.

Kenny Dalglish was the only notable absentee as he missed out through injury, ending an incredible run of 180 consecutive appearances since joining Liverpool from Celtic three years earlier.

“Super sub” David Fairclough took his number seven shirt but the team sheet still suggested a mismatch – and a long night looked on the cards for City as Liverpool came out firing.

Steve Smith had to be alert to deny David Johnson inside two minutes and by the sixth, Graeme Souness had rattled a post.

Liverpool dominated the first half but could not find a way through. City, in contrast, mustered only one effort from Bobby Campbell on the half hour that came to nothing.

The deadlock should have been broken four minutes after the restart but Johnson fired straight at Smith from a promising position.

The longer it went on, the more City started to believe.

Player-coach Lammie Robertson began orchestrating matters in midfield as the home side got a foot in the game. Ces Podd and Les Chapman were able to rove forward more often.

Terry Dolan mishit a shot wide of the far post and saw another effort blocked by Alan Hansen.

At the other end, Johnson once again found no way past the inspired Smith in the Bantam goal.

Then, 13 minutes from the end, came the magic moment that Valley Parade had craved.

City won a free-kick in a shooting area. Chapman caught Liverpool off guard by stepping over and instead it was Dolan who drove at the target.

Ray Clemence could not hold on to it and Campbell reacted quicker than the England goalkeeper and Hansen to smash the rebound into the net.

Campbell’s ecstatic celebrations as he wheeled away at the Bradford end where echoed by every City fan – and player.

The scenes that followed in the dressing room after the game suggested that City had won the cup rather than the first tie of the second round.

And, true to form, Liverpool’s 4-0 win in the return leg a week later clinched their first success on the way to beating West Ham in a replayed final.

But City could not be denied their night when they humbled the best team in Europe.

CITY: Smith, Podd, Wood, Robertson, Jackson, T Cooper, Dolan, Staniforth, Campbell, McNiven, Chapman.

LIVERPOOL: Clemence, Neal, A Kennedy, Thompson, R Kennedy, Hansen, Fairclough, Case, Johnson, McDermott, Souness.

REFEREE: M Scott (Nottingham)