Pontefract Collieries 0 Brighouse Town 3

BRIGHOUSE Town capped off their fine season with a play-off final victory at Pontefract Collieries, who finished one place and five points above them in the Evo-Stik League Division One East.

Vill Powell’s men were on top from the first minute at the Colls’ G&R Construction Stadium in front of a crowd in excess of 800.

They had the game’s first attempt, which was fired over, but the home defence was soon on the back foot with Connor Smythe clearing an effort off the line, Adam Field drilling the rebound just wide, and keeper Ryan Musslewhite making some important saves.

The deserved breakthrough came soon after the half-hour mark following good work inside the Ponte area.

Iwan Heeley and Gabby Johnson exchanged passes before Johnson laid the ball to Aaron Martin who stroked a low shot past Musslewhite.

Pontefract had former Guiseley and Bradford (Park Avenue) man Gavin Rothery, former Farsley Celtic striker Nick Guest and former Liversedge players Vaughan Redford and Cody Cromack in their starting line-up.

The home side forced a few free-kicks late in the first half and Town keeper Jordan Porter had one good save to make before the interval.

Any plans Colls boss Craig Parry had formulated during the break regarding his side getting back into the game were ripped up when Powell’s men doubled their lead in the 46th minute.

The second half had only just got going when a throw-in found Heeley. His first effort was blocked but the rebound fell kindly for him and he slotted in at the near post. That second goal deflated the Colls and midway through the second half the visitors plundered a third as Gabby Johnson fired into the bottom corner after Tyler Williams had danced through the home defence and unselfishly laid the ball off.

Despite their victory Brighouse look set to miss out on promotion as only five of the play-off winners on Set 4 will be given places in the Evo-Stik Premier Division and its equivalent divisions, decided on the coefficient by a points per game basis.

The club was aware of this but it didn’t stop Powell’s post-match interview being cut short by his team’s celebrations.

He said: “I can’t even speak to be honest,” before having water beer and ice thrown all over him.

Continuing, he added: “Look we work hard so we’re going to party hard and fair play to the players they have been brilliant.

"I’m a bit lost for words – its been a bit emotional in there (dressing room) but we’ve won and that’s all that matters.”