CAMPION were pipped to the Northern Counties East League Division One title on the final day of the season as they had rare off day away at Grimsby Borough in a winner takes all final fixture.

James Bicknell’s side started the day in pole position but a 4-2 defeat saw Grimsby crowned champions, their victory seeing them finish two points above the Bradford side.

The hosts had a slender lead at the break after Lewis Bemrose had headed the only goal of the first half. The narrow advantage turned into a 3-0 lead before the hour mark after goals from Daniel Trott and Jack Debnam.

The Red and Blacks hit back with eight minutes remaining, substitute Andy McCreadie getting on the end of a Leon Hurles-Brook free-kick, but hopes of a comeback were snuffed out when Caine Winfarrah charged down an attempted clearance by keeper Declan Lambton, the ball rebounding into the net.

A late penalty, netted by Aiden Day after Marcus Day had been fouled in the area, was nothing other than consolation for Campion who may miss out on promotion altogether.

Despite two teams being relegated from the Premier Division, the top two in Division One don’t automatically go up. The runners-up will have to await the league allocations to discover their fate.

Eccleshill United finished highest of the area’s four representatives in the top tier despite defeat on a last day which saw Thackley and Albion Sports both win away to reach the 40 point mark.

The Eagles travelled to already-crowned champions Worksop Town and the Eagles failed to spoil the Tigers’ party but they held them to a goalless first half.

Connor Brunt broke the deadlock soon after the interval and Matt Reay gave the hosts a two goal lead before Eccleshill hit back through Matt Mathers to make it an uncomfortable end to the last game in the NCEL for Worksop.

The Albion Lions roared into the close season with a 5-2 win away at Bottesford Town.

A first half brace from Eddie Church gave the visitors a 2-0 half time lead and the home side were reduced in numbers following a sending off early in the second half.

Luke Aldrich emulated Church with a brace and substitute Christian Smith added Albion’s fifth. Bottesford’s ten men had pulled a goal back by then and they added a second in the penultimate minute to give the score-line some respectability, Robbie Learning and Jamie Ture on target.

Thackley were 3-1 winners at Barton Town with Luke Robinson and Jack Normanton netting first half strikes. Barton halved the deficit ten minutes into the second half, Mo Yo Ajibade scoring, but Robinson went on to bag a brace for the Dennyboys.

Liversedge were beaten 1-0 thanks to an early goal for visitors Knaresborough Town at Clayborn, Conor Donoghue grabbing the game’s only goal in the fourth minute.