GUISELEY’S quest for National North survival is 'as you were' after a 1-1 home draw against Ashton United – the club directly below them in the table.

The Lions remain four points above the trapdoor and there are now just nine points left to play for.

The Robins are still fighting though and now have a three-point cushion over second-from-bottom FC United of Manchester after their 1-0 home defeat to Kidderminster Harriers.

It was understandably a tense and nervous affair at Nethermoor and, while the sides were determined, they cancelled each other out with few chances being created.

The Lions did have an early opportunity when Kayode Odejayi chased a through ball but headed over Ashton keeper George McMahon’s net.

Set-pieces provided the few half chances in the first half with an eighth-minute free-kick for the Robins leading to Connor Dimaio volleying against the bar.

Guiseley’s Will Hatfield tried his luck after a foul on Odejayi, but his effort flew over the target.

The Lions had a penalty claim waved away ten minutes into the second half, and ten minutes later Dimaio went close again, hitting the outside of the side netting.

A header from George Cantrill flew just over McMahon’s bar before the home side had a penalty appeal that was awarded.

It was another claim for handball and referee Andy Sykes pointed to the spot. Kingsley James took the responsibility and fired past McMahon.

The Robins hit back with a little under ten minutes remaining. Another free kick, this time for a foul on Oliver Crowley, gave Sam Sheridan the chance to strike and he curled his effort past home keeper Marcus Dewhurst.

Lions joint-boss Russ O’Neil said: “I'm so frustrated – its unbelievable how I feel at the minute.

“To get our noses in front, we should have managed the game a lot better from there. There were few chances and it was difficult to get ourselves in front.

"Then straight from their kick-off we keep the ball alive instead of letting it go out, then they get a free kick and equalise from it.

“It’s exactly the same free-kick as they got against Spennymoor last week to get them on the front foot and we’d spoken about that before the game. That’s the disappointing thing.

“We just haven’t managed the game well enough and I’m fed up with it to be fair.

"We were edgy from minute one but the group was ready for it. The group were all over it and mentally we were ready for the game but as soon as it kicked off you could tell that there was some nervous tension around the place.

“We had the game where we wanted it with quarter of an hour to go and we haven’t lost that position through Ashton’s ability, we’ve lost it because we haven’t managed the game well enough and ultimately that’s cost us.

"But still, we’re four points clear with three games to go so we’ll go to the next game.”