A LAST-gasp effort, which saw Otley score three tries in six minutes, came up short as South Leicester hung on for a 41-38 win at Cross Green on Saturday.

The victory South Leicester gave the five points they needed, but results elsewhere will see them relegated from National League Two North.

Otley started brightly, absorbing the visitor’s attack before Adam Malthouse charged the ball down giving the home side possession.

Having moved the ball out to the left, Charlie Hudson set off down the left-hand side to score after two minutes with Ben Smith converting.

Six minutes later, Alex Beaumont’s run down the other flank was halted when he was tackled, but Otley retained possession and Malthouse scored.

South’s first try came on the quarter-hour mark, as Otley was unable to bring down Isaac McNulty who put in Javiah Pohe to score.

Otley’s injury list mounted when Harry Skelton had to be replaced by Joe Rowntree.

Their woes continued after William Ward then ran through a hole in the defence to score unopposed.

South extended their lead when having spurned a penalty, Reece Harris crashed over from close range just before the half-hour mark, Dan Gleese getting his third conversion.

In the dry conditions, Otley were able to throw the ball about but did get close to the line, coming close after a five-metre scrum but lost possession in the subsequent attack.

Two minutes before half-time, a high tackle gave the visitors a penalty in front of the posts which they took to make the half-time score 24-12.

Otley had a lot of early pressure and for the first ten minutes had South penned in their own half.

A penalty into the right corner saw Otley push forward, and Henry Watson broke off the pack but was halted.

Further pick and drives followed from which Jason Moss scored.

South came straight back with a penalty. Otley had further chances, but were unable capitalize and were further punished when Josh Hall brought down Jonathan Hughes without the ball, referee giving the visitors a penalty try and Hall a yellow.

South’s fifth try came after sustained pressure on 68 minutes, Jacob Ham going over with Glasse converting.

With Otley now 22 points down, they mounted a last-gasp effort.

Opting for kick taps rather than kicking to touch, Otley scored three tries in six minutes.

The first of these came when Charlie Hudson set up Declan Dunn to score in the cemetery corner.

After another penalty, Otley came close but lost it. Hall then evaded tacklers from deep within his own half to score close to the posts.

With minutes remaining, Joe Gatus got on the try scoresheet and although Otley pressed in the remaining seconds South held out.