Tynedale 27

Wharfedale 21

WHARFEDALE earned a bonus point in a 27-21 loss against a strong Tynedale side on Saturday.

On a day when the sun shone brightly over the River Wharfe, Wharfedale travelled north to face old friends Tynedale.

The sun was not in evidence as the Greens approached Tynedale and this seemed to dampen the sparkle in the Green Machine.

Wharfedale were still in the changing room as Tynedale raced into a 12-0 lead.

Ben Beaumont scored an unconverted try in the second minute when he collected a clearance kick and ran to the touchline from half way.

Minutes later, poor defence by Wharfedale allowed Robert Parker to touch down. Parker added the extras.

Wharfedale did then get into the home 22 and put pressure on Tynedale, but the attack was halted when a penalty was given away and Tynedale escaped.

More pressure was applied by Tynedale and the chance to extend Tynedale’s lead was wasted when a penalty kick was missed.

Matters then got worse for the Greens when Ralph Wellock was shown yellow for a cynical obstruction.

This seemed to waken Wharfedale up and they gradually clawed their way back into the match.

First, they survived the period when reduced to 14 men and then they started to dominate possession and territory.

Both sides were making mistakes but at last Dale managed to put phases together and get close to Tynedale’s line.

Sam Gaudie grabbed a try for Dale after shrugging off a tackle and darting for the line. Blakeney-Edwards added the two points.

Wharfedale finished the first half putting pressure on Tynedale’s line.

The penalty count grew against the home side and eventually Chris Wearmouth was sin binned. Dale opted for a five-metre scrum, which they won.

The Green Machine made progress before Rob Baldwin passed to Rian Hamilton who scored. Blakeney-Edwards’ conversion gave Dale the lead 14-12 at half-time.

Wharfedale started the second half better than the first but another penalty was awarded to Tynedale. A quick tap and William Roberts rounded the defence to score from distance. Parker was accurate from the tee.

William Roberts grabbed his second try four minutes later. This try was the result of seven phases in Wharfedale’s 22 and then space being created. There was no conversion but Parker kicked a penalty, with 62 minutes gone, to extend the lead to 13 points.

Matty Houghton brought Dale back into the game with a converted try, which earned Dale a bonus point.

Hopes of an amazing comeback were soon ended when Dale took the restart, only to lose the ball after two phases.

Tynedale then stuffed the ball up their shirts and closed out the game.

Dale’s defence was, at times, awesome and they battled hard to keep Tynedale at bay. Three of the tries given away were from distance. Full credit to the speed of Tynedale’s back three, including man of the match, winger Williams Roberts.

The travelling faithful were disappointed in the score and the two 10-minute periods when Tynedale scored their tries at the start of each half.

The two tries at the start of the second half were scored when Tynedale were reduced to 14 men.

There was plenty to cheer the faithful on their way back to Yorkshire when the Green Machines earned a point and managed to stay in a game despite giving away a huge amount of possession and territory to the opposition.

Wharfedale: Rian Hamilton, Ralph Wellock (Rory Macnab 44), Harry Bullough, Will Edwards, Oli Cicognini (Elliot Stockton 44), Jack Blakeney-Edwards, Sam Gaudie, Toms Asejevs (Joe Altham 57), Kenneth Houghton, Reece Ward (Jack Hirst 44), Ben Leacock (James Mason 67), George Hedgley (c), Chris Walker, James Tyson, Rob Baldwin.