FARSLEY Celtic remain at the top of the Evo-Stik Premier Division courtesy of a narrow win at Buxton as all of the top three sides picked up maximums..

The Celts’ 2-1 victory keeps them a nose ahead, one point clear of second-placed South Shields and four ahead of third-placed Warrington Town.

Buxton could have broken into the play-off places with a win but were unable to come from a single goal deficit after half-time.

The Celts started well and created five opportunities before breaking the deadlock in the 18th minute.

Farsley skipper Danny Ellis had gone closest before the breakthrough when his header, to an 11th minute corner, hit the bar.

A similar move produced the opener when another Will Hayhurst corner was met by Ellis but he elected to head down to Nathan Cartman, who netted a shot on the turn.

Adam Lakeland’s side controlled the first half at Silverlands but the home side made it difficult for them in the second.

The Bucks levelled the game just after the hour mark when Liam Hardy dispossessed Adam Clayton and raced through before slotting past Kyke Trennery.

The Celts thought they had edged back in front six minutes later but Ellis’ header was ruled out for offside. The hosts responded and Callum Chippendale threatened to put them in the lead – his shot from distance curling just wide.

Farsley got the all-important second goal nine minutes from time with substitute Isaac Baldwin involved in the move.

Baldwin had been on the pitch for two minutes when Paul Walker broke and found him, and his cross was slotted past Bucks keeper Theo Roberts by Jimmy Spencer.

Lakeland said: “There was a bit of relief when Jimmy scored the winner but I thought we deserved it overall.

“We were good throughout the whole game and should have been more than one goal up at half-time. They came out well and were the better side in terms of possession and territory.

“Obviously their goal was disappointing. We gave the ball away cheaply in their half and then Clayts (Clayton) should have done better, but he knows that and it's uncharacteristic of him.

“We kept at it and found another gear which is what good teams do. In the end there can be no arguments about the result.”

Brighouse Town are still in the promotion picture in Division One East but their position was weakened as they suffered an away defeat to one of their rivals.

Town were third ahead of the short trip to Pontefract Collieries, while the Colls remain second after edging a tight game 2-1.

Former Guiseley forward Gavin Rothery gave the home side an eighth minute lead but they suffered an early blow as former Campion striker Eli Hey was forced off through injury four minutes later.

Vill Powell made a change at half-time, sending Gabby Johnson out for the second half in place of Tyler Williams, and it paid off. Johnson headed Town level when he met Zeph Thomas’ 56th minute cross.

Jake Picton hit the home side’s winner 20 minutes later and the result sees Powell’s men drop one place to fourth.