Campion’s tilt for the title in Northern Counties East League Division One was boosted as they beat leaders Grimsby Borough 3-1 at Scotchman Road.

The Red and Blacks' victory put them back into second spot, three points behind Grimsby but with two games in hand.

Campion started well and raced into a two-goal lead in the opening 17 minutes. Omar Habeeb helped himself to a brace, pouncing in the third minute after the visitors’ defence had blocked two efforts and slotting in a second after racing in to meet a superb low cross.

Campion went on to control the first half and reached the break with the 2-0 score-line comfortably intact.

The landscape changed just minutes into the second half when Grimsby pulled a goal back, Daniel Trott clipping a low shot across home keeper Declan Lambton.

The visitors were visibly lifted and they were suddenly first to every second ball and snapping into tackles to win the ball back. But James Bicknell’s side contained them with some excellent defending.

They remained focused and diligent and it took the wind back out of Grimsby’s sails, leading to Boro making changes. The substitutes were also thwarted and six minutes from time Grimsby left back Peter Winn’s long range shot that ballooned high over Lambton’s bar summed up the frustration of the visitors.

Campion put the result beyond doubt in the very next minute when Alex Cusack volleyed past a covering defender on the line after an effort had clattered the bar and looped back.

Campion’s manager Bicknell said: “We rode our luck at times but at the end of the day it’s three points and that’s all that matters.

“At this stage of the season especially, it’s the points that are all important. Trott got their goal back and it was a good strike but he’s a very good player. This is a big result for us and we had to work for it.”

Hallam dropped to third after they were held to a goalless draw away at East Yorkshire Carnegie.

The Sheffield club are now one point behind Bicknell’s side having played the same number of games.