City remain six points from safety following their 4-1 home defeat to Blackpool as Rochdale boosted their chances of staying up with a 3-1 home win over Scunthorpe.

Aaron Wilbraham's double left Dale just a point from escaping the drop zone. Kgosi Ntlhe also netted while Jordan Hallum scored for the Iron, who remain in trouble in 18th place.

Oxford lifted themselves up to 13th place thanks to Curtis Nelson's winner at Coventry in a 1-0 success.

Wimbledon's resurgence was ended by Gillingham's 4-1 win at Kingsmeadow, leaving the Dons three points from safety.

Michael Folivi opened the scoring for the Dons but the Gills replied with four unanswered goals from Brandon Hanlan, Graham Burke, Leonardo Lopes and Tom Eaves. Former City striker James Hanson scored a late second for the hosts.

Former Guiseley youngster Jacob Brown's injury-time winner gave Barnsley a vital 1-0 victory at struggling Walsall and strengthened their grip on second spot.

They extended their unbeaten run to 19 league games and have kept seven straight clean sheets.

Barnsley are five points clear of Sunderland, although the Black Cats have two games in hand.

With Sunderland not playing, Portsmouth won 2-0 at Shrewsbury to move into third thanks to goals from Ben Close and Brett Pitman, leaving the hosts a point above the bottom four.

Peterborough now sit sixth after beating Southend 2-0 with goals from Marcus Maddison and Ben White.

Leaders Luton extended their unbeaten run to 26 games after beating Doncaster 4-0.

The Hatters, now five points clear at the top, have not lost since October.

Goals from Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, Danny Hylton, Kazenga LuaLua and Luke Berry earned the hosts victory.

Mid-table Burton came from 2-0 down to beat Accrington 5-2 with goals from Scott Fraser, Kyle McFadzean and David Templeton adding to Lucas Akins' brace. Sean McConville and Billy Kee had put the visitors in control.

Elsewhere, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers drew 2-2 after Gavin Reilly's injury-time equaliser for the Pirates.

Jonson Clarke-Harris had earlier cancelled out Ruben Lameiras' opener before Tony Craig's own goal handed Plymouth a 2-1 lead.