CAMPION reclaimed top spot in Northern Counties East League division one after coming from a goal down to beat Selby Town 5-1 at Scotchman Road.

Selby, who had knocked premier division Eccleshill United out of the league cup in midweek, got off to the best possible start as Charlie Clamp gave them a second-minute lead.

However, the response was both rapid and emphatic as James Bicknell’s men stormed back to lead 3-1 midway through the first period. Marcus Day hit the Red and Blacks' equaliser before Aiden Day and Ben Bodle added two more in as many minutes.

Any gimmer of hope for a second-half comeback by the Robins was lost when Ryan Woodhead put through his own goal just four minutes after the interval. Leon Hurles-Brook gave Campion a nap hand.

Bicknell’s side are top again after Grimsby Borough, who were ahead on goal difference, lost 4-1 at home to third-from-bottom East Yorkshire Carnegie.

Eccleshill recovered from their loss to the Robins by winning 4-1 at home against Bottesford Town, the club immediately above them in the top tier.

Newly appointed skipper Charlie Flaherty put the Eagles ahead just after the half-hour mark with his second goal in two league games since being handed the armband, but the Poachers hit back through Jack McMenemy.

It was still a tight game midway through the second half but a penalty for the home side swung the momentum. Luke Harrop was brought down in the area and Andy Cooper stepped forward to net from the spot.

Two minutes later it was 3-1 as Jake Thompson added and he went on to bag a brace as he wrapped up the scoring seven minutes from time.

There was nothing but disappointment for the area’s other three premier division sides as Thackley and Liversedge were both beaten at home while Albion Sports suffered a heavy loss on the road.

A second-half penalty condemned Thackley to a 1-0 home defeat against former Bradford (Park Avenue) club legend Wayne Benn’s high-riding Hemsworth MW.

The Wells were awarded the 78th-minute spot kick for a holding offence and Sam Jones stepped forward to score. Pat McGuire’s Dennyboys felt it was a harsh decision after a series of similar offences, at both end, had gone unpunished.

Sedge lost by the same scoreline at Clayborn as Staveley MW took all three points back to Chesterfield with them after a Joe Cheeseman goal eight minutes from time.

The Albion Lions lost 5-1 despite scoring first and matching hosts Barton Town for the first hour. Sam Denton headed the Lions into the lead following a 25th-minute free kick but Gareth Barlow equalised 10 minutes later to see the sides going into the break on level terms.

It remained a close contest until Jamie Goddard gave the Swans the lead. The home side’s third, scored by Tom Waudby in the 69th minute was the defining moment and Barton ran out comfortable winners with Donald Chimalilo netting before Waudby bagged his brace in the last minute.