OTLEY just missed out on getting their first ever victory at Tynedale when they were beaten 25-22 at Tynedale Park on Saturday.

With Brett Mitchell held up over the line, referee Ben Davis brought proceedings to a close in a game that Otley had every chance of winning.

Moments before, a deliberate knock on close to the line denied the visitors a scoring opportunity, and they went for a penalty into the corner from which to launch another attack.

Tynedale dominated the opening 30 minutes, keeping Otley in their own half and the visitors' defence on rebuttal duties.

The North-Easterners had to settle for a try from Falconer winger Morgan Passman after 16 minutes but otherwise could not breach Otley’s defence.

Otley's first real attack came when Ben Magee took up the ball in his own 22 to the half-way line.

Kicking on, he and Cam Nordli-Kelemeti sprinted to the line but it was Tynedale who reached it first and were able to clear their lines.

Otley were denied another scoring chance after a high tackle from behind which was not suitably punished, but got a penalty when Tynedale were penalised for not rolling away - Ben Smith making the half-time score 5-3.

The visitors kicked off the second half and took the lead within two minutes, as Alex Beaumont bullied his way over the line in the corner having taken a long pass by Tom De Glanville.

Tynedale responded with three quick tries within an eight-minute spell, two further tries by Passman between one by Chris Wearmouth. These made the score 22-8.

Otley were not going to go down easily and brought the scores level with two tries of their own.

Tynedale lost the ball after their own scrum and quick ball to de Glanville saw him score and Magee, who was instigator and finisher of the second. Joe Rowntree’s two conversions made the score 22-22.

However, within minutes Otley were adjudged to have collapsed their scrum on the 22, Matt Outson taking the three points on offer.

With four minutes left, Otley continued to press for the win and came so close.

The decision to go for the fourth try rather than the penalty and a draw was the right one and, despite a tremendous effort in the closing moments, they did not get the decision they needed and had to settle for their first losing bonus point of the season.