GILLINGHAM ended a four-match winless run with a 1-0 home win over Stuart McCall's Scunthorpe to move out of the League One relegation zone.

Mark Byrne's goal on the half-hour proved enough for all three points to go three points clear of the Bantams.

Ivan Toney scored a late goal as play-off chasing Peterborough won 1-0 at Oxford, who drop back into the bottom four.

Relegation battlers Shrewsbury were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Burton.

Tyrese Campbell gave the Shrews an early lead, but David Templeton headed in a swift equaliser on 11 minutes.

Coventry beat free-falling Walsall 3-0 at the Ricoh Arena.

Amadou Bakayoko and former Bantams striker Jordy Hiwula scored against their former club, who host the Bantams next Saturday, both goals coming in the space of six first-half minutes. Bright Enobakhare added a late third from the penalty spot.

At the other end of the table, Luton set a new club record of 20 league games unbeaten with a 2-1 win at Fleetwood.

George Moncur's 25-yard free-kick put the League One leaders ahead just before the break, with Pelly Ruddock doubling the lead early in the second half.

Paddy Madden scored a consolation for the home side in stoppage time.

The Hatters' run sees Mick Harford's men beat the previous best set twice in successive years during 1968 and 1969.

Second-placed Barnsley remain six points behind, having played a match less, after they beat Wycombe 2-1 at Oakwell - where there was a lengthy spell of stoppage time following injury to Chairboys midfielder Luke Bolton.

Cauley Woodrow put the hosts in front with a penalty on 13 minutes, and grabbed his second just after the hour.

Shortly before that goal there had been an extended delay when Bolton needed treatment from both medical teams and was eventually substituted, which resulted in almost 13 minutes of action-packed additional time being played.

Wycombe defender Adam El-Abd was shown a late red card for violent conduct following an off-the-ball incident with Cameron McGeehan.

Joe Jacobson then pulled a goal back for Wycombe from the penalty spot, but there was to be no more drama before the full-time whistle eventually blew.

In Saturday's early kick-off at Roots Hall, Portsmouth saw their hopes of making up ground in the promotion race dented as Simon Cox's hat-trick saw Southend battle back to earn a 3-3 draw.

Bryn Morris, Ben Close and Oliver Hawkins put Pompey 3-0 up inside 31 minutes, with Cox's goal before the break seemingly only a consolation.

However, the winger set up a tense finale when he converted a penalty with 12 minutes left and then curled in a late equaliser.

Blackpool put their off-field problems behind them as they battled to a goalless draw at fifth-placed Charlton.

Owen Oyston's 31-year reign at Blackpool was ended in the High Court of Justice on Wednesday when a judge appointed receivers to take control of the club.