CAMPION remain three points clear at the top of Division One in the Northern Counties East League after a battling 4-2 away win at Parkgate.

Campion raced into a two-goal lead with goals from Leon Hurles-Brook and Marcus Day inside the first 18 minutes but the home side had spirit.

The Steelmen hit back through leading scorer Bruno Holden just minutes before the break.

But Campion restored their two-goal advantage before the interval as Day slipped the offside trap to catch the home defence out just a minute after they had got back into the game.

There were chances at either end after the break with the red and blacks going closest as they were denied by the woodwork.

A fourth Campion goal eventually came when Omar Habeeb steered a low shot into the bottom corner four minutes from time.

The home side grabbed a consolation goal in injury time through Freddie Russell.

Meanwhile, Liversedge hauled themselves further away from the danger zone in the top tier with a 3-2 away win at mid-table Bottesford Town.

Kevy Tarangadzo gave Jonathan Rimmington’s men a first-minute lead before Davies added a second and Emile Sinclair scored Sedge’s third. They were cruising after that 26-minute onslaught, but the home side hit back from the penalty spot, Jack McMenemy converting.

McMenemy cut the deficit further in the 68th minute when he bagged his brace but Sedge had done the damage in the first half.

Albion Sports lost a tight game 1-0 at home as Penistone Church climbed to the summit thanks to a last gasp strike from substitute Kieran Ryan. The late substitute heading the game’s only goal after a great cross picked him out - winning what was an excellent game of football.

Thackley slipped to a second defeat in three games to Worksop Town as the Tigers followed up their 3-1 win at Dennyfield a fortnight earlier with a 5-2 home win as the Dennyboys ended with 10 men.

The game was still a contest when Dennyboys’ defender Jerry White received a straight red card following a corner midway through the first half. The resulting penalty was driven past Dennyboys’ keeper Alfie Stevens-Neale by Kyle Jordan, adding to Matt Sykes’ earlier opener.

The two-goal deficit soon became three as Steve McDonnell got free through the middle, raced on a slotted past Stevens-Neale.

The Dennyboys’s 10 men regrouped during the interval and competed in the second period, drawing the half 2-2. Rob Marsh pulled a goal back with a shot from the flank that nestled in the top corner but Sykes netted the Tigers’ fourth.

Asa Mitchell made it 4-2 before Sykes claimed his hat-trick with the last goal of the game.