OTLEY lost 25-10 in National League Two North encounter at Preston Grasshoppers on Saturday but produced what could be a contender the Try of the Month.

The try occurred just before half-time when from within his own half fly half Tom De Glanville zig-zagged his way through the Hoppers defence leaving several defenders in his wake to score in the corner.

Otley kicked off the game and had an early penalty as Preston crossed trying to get out of their 22, but the conversion went wide and the visitors were down 5-0.

The hosts were soon on Otley’s 22, and forced a penalty after the visitors failed to release, the penalty going into the corner.

A catch and drive ensued with Alastair Murray scoring and Tom Davidson adding the conversion.

The visitors were under considerable pressure and gave away a penalty after 27 minutes which Davidson slotted in.

Preston were soon back and came close on a couple of occasions, with one attempt turned down and another held up by Otley’s valiant defence.

In the end, Matt Lamprey crashed over just after the half hour mark, and Davidson added the conversion to make it 15-0.

Otley got their first points after the kick-off when Preston were unable to gather the ball cleanly and gave away a penalty. Joe Rowntree stepped up to cut the lead to 15-3.

However, this score was cancelled out two minutes later when Davidson converted his own penalty.

Otley ended the half on a high with De Glanville’s scoring run. Rowntree added the conversion from the touchline and the score was 18-10 to the Hoppers.

Three minutes into the second half, Rowntree had a long range penalty attempt from just inside Preston’s half after they came in from the side but it fell short.

In the second half, Otley coped better with Preston’s pack and took the odd line-out from them.

But Preston extended their lead with less than ten minutes to go when Murray got his second.

For the remainder of the match Preston looked for the bonus point try but Otley’s defence kept them out.

Played switched from one end of the pitch, and Otley came close with an audacious cross-field kick on their try line which was picked up by Charlie Hudson.

He showed a great turn of speed to run nearly the whole length of the pitch but was tackled before crossing the whitewash.