CAMPION held on to the leadership of Northern Counties East Division One after a 2-2 draw at promotion rivals Nostell Miners Welfare.

The Red and Blacks broke the deadlock just after the half hour mark when Alex Cusack gave the visitors the lead at the Welfare Ground. But that lasted just two minutes before Brad Kilburn headed Nostell level.

The second period was just as close with few clear-cut chances but, out of nothing, Kane Reece produced a goal that put Welfare ahead for the first time.

Once again the side that edged ahead couldn’t consolidate their lead and four minutes later Leon Hurles-Brook scored the equaliser with a spectacular free-kick.

Campion’s advantage was cut to three points as Grimsby Borough leapfrogged Winterton Ranger into second spot, and the point saw Nostell climb one place to third.

Thackley edged a little further from the drop zone in the Premier Division after a 1-1 draw at Garforth Town.

It was the Bradford side who struck first but the Leeds line-up came back with a second half equaliser in an entertaining derby. Kris Hargreaves converted an early free-kick from Dennyboys’ player-manager Pat McGuire with a header.

The visitors had some excellent chances to extend their lead, hitting the post at one point when a ball into the area was headed against the woodwork by an under pressure defender.

The Miners stood firm and substitute Josh Robinson-Wilson held his nerve when put through, slotting in their equaliser and setting up an all action last 20 minutes.

The point earned by Thackley saw them go above rivals Albion Sports after they suffered a 4-1 home defeat to Staveley Miners Welfare.

The Trojans opened the scoring in the 18th minute through Jahmal Riley, and Matt Parkin netted on the stroke of half-time to send the Lions into the break with their tails between their legs.

Michael Burke added a third for the visitors before the Lions conceded a penalty midway through the second half, Sam Finlaw converting. Albion skipper Sam Denton netted a last-minute consolation for the home side.

Liversedge also tasted defeat as they went down 4-2 at seventh-placed Maltby Main with the home side’s Jordan Turner doing most of the damage.

Turner hit a hat-trick but the first of those was a leveller after Sedge’s much-travelled striker Emile Sinclair had given the visitors a seventh-minute lead.

The sides turned around at 1-1 but Maltby’s Matt Moore doubled their lead early in the second half before Turner netted in the 71st and 78th minutes. Rhys Davies reduced the deficit in the last minute.