GUISELEY missed the chance to leapfrog Leamington as their opponents earned a hard-fought 1-1 draw to remain three points better off than the Lions in the Vanarama National League North table.

The home side enjoyed a good start and took an early lead but the visitors came into their own in the second half, with a point apiece probably the fairest outcome for both sides.

Guiseley could have broken the deadlock in the seventh minute but Kayode Odejayi’s shot from just inside the area went wide of the post with Leamington keeper Tony Breeden beaten.

Odejayi soon made amends and struck to open the scoring just over ten minutes later. Niall Heaton provided the assist, as one of his trademark long throw-ins was pounced on by the big striker, who slotted past Breeden from ten yards.

Leamington had a few sporadic attacks but the Lions were defending well and nothing troubled home keeper Marcus Dewhurst, until the visitors produced an equaliser on the stroke of half time.

A good cross from Kieran Dunbar found Jordan Murphy and he curled a shot past the young Sheffield United loanee.

The visitors began the second half well and grew in confidence. They should have gone in front in the 56th minute but the Guiseley goal appeared to have a charmed life.

Dewhurst did well to parry a Murphy shot but the ball ran for Colby Bishop. His shot was blocked and Murphy pounced onto the rebound only to see his next attempt cleared off the line by Cliff Moyo.

Alex Purver tested Breeden later in the half before the Lions made a double substitution, with Odejayi and forward partner Rowan Liburd making way for Paul Clayton and Lewis Walters.

The changes failed to rejuvenate Guiseley and Leamington went close twice. Dewhurst saved a Reece Flanagan free kick before the same player hit the bar with another in the 87th minute.

Guiseley's joint manager Russ O’Neill said: “We feel a bit disappointed. We looked at three points and if you’d stopped the game after 20 to 25 minutes, you would have been disappointed.

“But as it’s gone on Leamington, and fair play to them, have come back into it.

“The overriding emotion is one of frustration but Leamington have gone seven games unbeaten. They make it hard for teams and the longer the game went on they hung in there and finished strong.

“We made a double substitution to freshen us up a bit up front. Like them (Leamington) we have played a lot of football recently. There have been a lot of games in a short space of time and we wanted to get fresh legs out there.”