A SUPERB second half performance saw Eccleshill United recover from a goal down to beat Athersley Recreation 3-1 in the Northern Counties East Premier Division.

The Rec claimed a 17th minute lead through Chris Wood and they took that slender advantage into the break.

The Eagles came out with all guns blazing right from the start of the second half but they had to wait to get their rewards.

They finally equalised in the 72nd minute when Luke Harrop netted a stunning drive from distance. He was soon replaced by Khurram Shazad and the substitute’s first involvement was to copy Harrop as he too found the top corner with a fantastic strike.

The gloss was put on the win in the penultimate minute when Jake Thompson curled a shot into the bottom corner to wrap up the scoring.

Liversedge were also winners in the top tier as they beat near neighbours Garforth Town 1-0 courtesy of Dave Bordman’s 65th minute goal.

But there was no joy for Albion Sports or Thackley as they both suffered heavy home defeats.

The Albion Lions went down 4-0 at Throstle Nest with visitors Maltby Main scoring twice in each half.

The visitors took a strong grip early on thanks to a Matt Moore brace as he broke the deadlock in the tenth minute and added his second in the 18th minute.

Jonathan Hill and Jordan Turner netted either side of the hour mark to wrap up a comfortable victory.

The Dennyboys lost 5-0 at Dennyfield as second-placed Penistone Church went nap.

Nathan Keightley opened the scoring in the first minute after the visitors had attacked from the kick-off and there was more bad luck to rue as Alex Marsh’s attempt to cut out a cross resulted in him turning the ball past his own keeper Luke Wilson.

After the interval Andy Ring added Penistone’s third before Keightley bagged his brace and it was Conor Glavin who rounded off the scoring.

Campion remain top of Division One after a 3-2 win over promotion rivals Dronfield Town at Scotchman Road.

The visitors grabbed an early lead through Danny Wood but Campion’s Ben Bodle levelled in the 14th minute.

No further goals were added in the first half but Jason Carney put the home side back in front.

James Bicknell’s men were determined to get the three points and Graham Hall netted a third ten minutes from time before Stuart Hill pulled one back for Dronfield.