OTLEY hung on to edge out a 14-13 win at South Leicester in a close National League Two North encounter on Saturday.

Otley were made to work hard for their fourth away win of the season, by a side who defended well and were difficult to unpick.

Playing against a blustery but fortunately dry wind, the visitors spent most of the first quarter in Leicester’s half.

Despite being down to 14 men after Declan Dunn had been sin-binned, Otley took the lead after a home-side’s line-out went wrong.

Lawrence Sanderson led the charge, and Stephen Nolson took up the mantle to dummy his way through from 25 metres to score.

South took just two minutes to score, Otley being penalised for not rolling away and Ben Palmer slotted the ball through the posts.

The home side took the lead on 28 minutes when Javiah Pohe when broke from his half. The ball was then moved from the right-hand corner to the left where Joe Lane went over, Palmer adding the conversion.

Otley still had the upper hand in the remainder of the half, when their pack was dominant, and had their chances.

However, rather than take the penalty points which were on offer, they went for the corner and came away with nothing.

Otley regained the lead 14 minutes after the break, after a period of sustained pressure.

They were held up over the line but having a penalty in the bag, continued to pressurise.

With the next attack, Adam Malthouse managed to get the ball to Dunn who was bundled over. Ben Smith added his second conversion.

The home side mounted their own attack straight away, and were also held up over the line.

Their attack continued for about five minutes until Joe Graham was able to regain the ball and relieve the pressure.

However, Otley was penalised on 64 minutes and Palmer’s penalty reduced the visitors margin to just one point.

Otley used the rest of the game to increase that margin but South’s defence was unyielding, and as the game came to a close the visitors were slowly being pushed back. Otley’s second win at Welford Road came after the ball was lost by Leicester, and from the scrum the ball was kicked into touch.