WHEN we all do the post mortem on City's season next summer, it might be this cracking FA Cup comeback that we see as the turning point.

The character, fight and heart David Hopkin's men showed, particularly during the second half, shows maybe, just maybe, the second half of this season could be as positive as this second period at Peterborough proved.

Hopkin was left to rue 15 minutes of madness against Luton Town in midweek, but now he can bask in five minutes of majesty in a dramatic, grandstand finish at the ABAX Stadium.

Indeed the way he orchestrated the chanting coming from the hardy 234 City fans after Kelvin Mellor's jaw-dropping thunderbolt showed there is now unity between fans and their head coach.

The full-time chorus of boos from the Posh faithful must have sounded like music to the ears of their Bradford counterparts.

The FA Cup has certainly not been kind at times to City during the Annus Horribilis that has been 2018. There was the defeat at League Two Yeovil Town six days into the new year, which started the club's extraordinary decline.

On that fateful day, then head coach Stuart McCall conceded Yeovil wanted it more, but this time, 11 months later, Posh boss Steve Evans could be left with the same feeling.

There was a feeling that the Bantams' whimper in Somerset 11 months previously had returned to curse them in Cambridgeshire. But the players had other ideas.

They dug deep, never gave up and showed maybe, just maybe, a new City has dawned. Only time will tell on that of course. Plymouth away next Saturday will give us a true barometer of whether a new, or false, dawn is here.

City's gradual revival has seen them lose only two of their last seven league and cup games.

This was a comeback that never looked to be on the cards. It was more of a giant leap, than the baby steps of recovery Anthony O'Connor had talked about last month.

Peterborough controlled the game and looked the most likely to add to their commanding lead. City could barely contain the home side's attacking threat of Siriki Dembele, Ivan Toney and Marcus Maddison and it was often a case of last-ditch defending to keep them out.

At half-time the game looked to be over after goals from Toney and Dembele, with only one team looking like getting the next one. But you never know in football and the cliche of 2-0 being the most dangerous of leads was typified here.

During the second period City were knocking on the door, but just couldn't get the breakthrough.

A double substitution just after the hour mark, with Luca Colville and George Miller coming on, certainly changed the momentum. City took a foothold in the game and never looked back.

Jack Payne, restored to the starting line-up as one of three changes from the Luton defeat, looked the biggest threat for the visitors. His mazy runs and set-pieces caused Posh the most problems. His 15th minute free-kick, headed into the grateful arms of Peterborough goalkeeper Aaron Chapman, saw an early sign of centre half Kelvin Mellor's attacking intent.

Special praise has to go to Karl Henry. Three games in seven days, aged 36, for his first action of the season is testament to his fitness levels. The only blot on his copybook was his ninth-minute booking for a crunching challenge on the lively Maddison. But Henry brought a composure on the ball in midfield which City will benefit from long term.

Eoin Doyle looked industrious throughout, holding the line on his own well and Paul Caddis continued to show signs of why he is making a difference, despite his very early caution.

O'Connor made a welcome return to City's defence, taking the captain's armband in one of three changes for Hopkin's men. Jim O'Brien was also recalled.

As we are approaching panto season, it's time for Steve Evans watch. The manager away fans love to hate returned from his one-match touchline ban but not at first.

Initially he took a voluntary seat in the stands, but quickly made his way down to his technical area and reverted to type, as he barked out orders in an extremely animated manner to his players throughout.

There seemed to be a frank exchange of words between Evans and Hopkin seconds before the final whistle, no doubt linked to City's superb comeback.

What a five minutes from City late on.

Mellor fired in the sort of goal that no defender has a right to score. Seeing a pocket of space opening up in front of him, he unleashed a rocket from at least 25 yards to open his account in the claret and amber.

Both sets of fans were in shock and now it was game on.

That shock soon turned to delirium for City as they secured the replay just five minutes later.

Superb sub Luca Colville took a leaf out of David Fairclough's book, as his drive from just outside the area wrong-footed Chapman and deflected in. What a stunning comeback.

The chants of 'Come on City' were ringing out at the final whistle, as City are now looking to add to their illustrious history in the oldest national football competition in the world.

Anton McElhone, set to be confirmed as City's new assistant manager this week, was at the ABAX Stadium. No doubt he was impressed with his new charges.

Before the match, the Peterborough PA announcer advertised a Craig David concert at Peterborough next June, but it was City who were Walking Away with a replay after a rollercoaster Seven Days.

Now a replay in nine days' time gives City fans some hope for the busy festive period ahead.

But first a national name check during tomorrow night's cup draw. Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, home or away? Mourinho, Guardiola or Klopp? Dare we dream?

In what has been a wretched 2018, the Bantams' reboot may just have kicked in on Saturday.