THERE will be no FA Cup run this season for Bradford (Park Avenue) and no potential dream tie against Football League opposition next month after a 4-2 defeat in the third qualifying round.

They had been drawn away against Vanarama National League North rivals Altrincham and, for a second time this season, the Robins beat Avenue.

Following their 3-2 league win at the Horsfall Stadium, they went one goal better on home soil.

The home side had signalled their intentions early on as a shot from Sean Williams took a deflection and hit the post, before Avenue keeper Steve Drench saved a follow up effort from John Johnston.

Ben McKenna struck a venomous shot that came back off Altrincham keeper Tony Thompson’s post midway through the first half and the visitors broke the deadlock before the half hour mark.

Avenue striker Jake Beesley was fouled in the area by Tom Hannigan but he got up to take the resulting penalty and fired it past Thompson.

The first goal may have come late in the first half but it sparked a glut. Connor Hampson forced home the Robins’ first equaliser after a 35th minute cross was not cleared.

Avenue re-took the lead when skipper Shane Killock converted a Nicky Wroe corner at the back post but Alty responded just before the break when a speculative shot from Jake Moult took a big deflection and looped over Drench.

Avenue manager Mark Bower was forced into a half-time substitution as centre back Luca Havern succumbed to an injury picked up before the break.

Bower was re-jigging his side again just seven minutes into the second half as Chris Dawson limped off after treatment.

The home side were back in front just after the hour mark when James Jones converted a 62nd minute corner and a wonderful strike from Jordan Hulme six minutes from time ensured their place in the fourth qualifying round draw.

Bower was far from impressed with a tight call that went against his side when they were ahead and he said: “We were 2-1 up, looking pretty comfortable and an appalling refereeing decision has done us again.

“Ben McKenna is breaking and we’re two on two when he gets pulled down but we got nothing and that kind of sums it up at the minute.

"And then they go on and a deflected shot ends up in the back of our net. I thought that was a real turning point.

“Obviously losing two players to injury, one at the break and one early in the second half, didn’t help us, but I’m disappointed because we didn’t play as we have been playing recently.”