Yorkshire Division Three: Baildon 17 Hemsworth 40

DESPITE a good start and signs of a potent attack, Baildon lost their Yorkshire Division Three seasonal 40-17 against Hemsworth, with lapses in concentration costing the home side dear.

However, the Jenny Lane regulars had much something to cheer in a game where Hemsworth pulled out of sight in the second half, including seeing club stalwarts Howard Chippendale and Martin Peel on the touchline.

The opening exchanges were positive for Baildon, who held Hemsworth through five phases of fluent rugby.

Despite direct running on some great lines, the Hemsworth attack could not penetrate.

Meanwhile, the first few Baildon set-pieces looked solid as Zack Orrell stole opposition line-out ball and the scrummage held firm.

Matty Robinson put in good touch finders, and when Baildon put together their own string of phases, involving bullocking runs from Adam Hewitt, dancing feet from Tom Cluett and great link work from Orrell, it was Joe Robinson who found himself in space, dummying his way over for the first score.

More worrying was that he winded himself by landing on the ball after a celebratory swallow dive.

Ollie Williams converted for 7-0 but then Baildon fluffed four chances to clear their lines, including a mess up at their own scrummage, a charged-down kick and a missed touch finder from a Baildon penalty kick.

Such inaccuracies do not go unpunished, and Hemsworth scored through their full back when they moved the ball wide to make it 7-7.

However, Baildon responded, playing in the right parts of the field through a good kicking game.

Orrell once more pilfered opposition line-out ball before Harrison Strauss jinked over to make it 12-7.

Having scored, Baildon once more switched off, kicking the ball directly into touch from the restart.

They were unable to relieve pressure, despite winning penalties, and when Hemsworth won a penalty, the home side appeared in a trance as the penalty was taken quickly and a Hemsworth player crossed the whitewash unopposed to give them a 14-12 lead.

From the restart, further defensive lapses allowed a runner to cut over for the visitors' third try, making the half-time score 19-12 to the visitors.

A run from Ollie Waddington had the home supporters cheering at the start of the second half, and Hemsworth conceded consecutive penalties, the first at the breakdown and the second for playing a line-out player without the ball.

Matty Robinson saw space and sent the ball deep, and young Matthew Wilson rounded the last player, just being beaten by the ball in the race to the in-goal area.

Although Baildon continued to put together phases, they were unable to get anything from a good start to the second half.

When Hemsworth had possession, initially the Baildon defence looked strong, with Nick Lister and Matty Robinson putting their bodies on the line.

When Baildon thought the line-out had formed, a Hemsworth player took a quick line-out and walked over the try line untouched by the home side, who once more looked like they were playing musical statues rather than rugby.

Trailing 26-12, aggressive Baildon defence forced Hemsworth to spill the ball, and Luke Strauss was on to it in a flash and set off through a broken field.

Zigging and zagging, he found his way to the try line, and the conversion attempt hit the bar.

Two late scores put Hemsworth out of sight and perhaps flattered them but they denied the hosts even a four-try bonus point.