WYKE gave red-hot favourites Hanging Heaton the game of their lives before falling to a 27-24 defeat in the Pennine League's Andrew Bennett Memorial Trophy final at Featherstone Rovers.

The Heavy Woollen side, who finished as unbeaten champions in Division Two West and have been playing well below their level this season, were considered dead certs to collect the silverware. and all the omens looked in place when they sauntered into an early 10-0 lead.

The black and whites roared back in great style, however, when second-row forward Jonny Fawthrop broke clear from halfway and outstripped the full back on the outside to reach the chalk.

That was soon followed by another well-worked try when stand-off Jordan Payton threaded a kick towards the uprights, allowing packman Ryan Kershaw to ground the ball in heavy traffic.

Wingman Cameron Foster slotted over the extras, and suddenly the game was all-square at 10-10.

Hanging Heaton then used their superior size to barge over at the flag, and loose forward Declan Tomlinson added a drop goal bang on the half-time hooter to see his colleagues into the sheds 15-10 up.

However, Wyke hit the front on the restart when Payton launched another kick into the corner and loose forward Oscar Whitehead won the race to touch down, with Foster making sure of a full reward from the touchline side.

The Heavy Woollen side then posted an unconverted try before the black and whites stunned them when Payton sold two outrageous dummies to reach the whitewash for the best try of the day.

A penalty gained Heaton a one-point advantage before Payton was caught giving an opponent a free facial and was harshly sent to the sin bin with just ten minutes left.

Wyke’s chances regrettably went with him, and they could not prevent a further converted touchdown as leaden legs took hold.

They did, however, have the final hurrah when Foster sprinted over in the corner to crown a performance fit for the occasion.

Queensbury collected the Supplementary Cup final after an 18-14 win over Kinsley Raiders.

Bury were in trouble when they were 14-10 behind with just ten minutes left after touchdowns from centre Joe Hall and packman Matty Kiernan.

Then a lightning raid down the right flank gave wingman Stuart Rubery the chance to power over in the corner, leaving scrum half Jonny Norman to add the long-range extras to give the Bradford side a 16-14 advantage.

Another Norman penalty, following a ball steal, then calmed the nerves to ensure them their first Pennine Cup success after nine attempts.

Queensbury’s summer side, playing for the first time under new coach Alan Redmonds, had a 25-22 home win over Hunslet Parkside in Yorkshire Men's League Division One.

Bury's tries came via Tom Hainsworth, Jonny Naylor, Joe Flanagan and Dave Greenwood, with four conversions and a drop goal by Ethan Egerton-Sharp.