BRADFORD-born Karl Boyes seemingly paid for a thrilling quarter-final comeback in the 25th annual Mansion Bet World Pool Masters in Gibraltar.

After defeating six-time winner Ralf Souquet 8-7 from 7-1 down at the Victoria Stadium, 'Box Office' Boyes bowed out 8-3 in the semi-finals to eventual winner Niels Feijen.

Boyes, who only came into the tournament at short notice when Maltese legend Tony Drago pulled out due to illness, defeated holder David Alcaide 8-3 in the first round, taking his opportunities while the Spaniard struggled.

A delighted Boyes, who did not play much last year, said after booking his quarter-final against Souquet: "I was disbelieving as I only got the call-up to play last Tuesday – but not a bad effort for a full-time father."

Yet that was only the starter for 2010 world eight-ball champion Boyes as he trailed Souquet 4-0 and 7-1 in his quarter-final before hitting back to win.

The 2014 World Cup of Pool winner showed that anything is possible in winner-breaks nine-ball pool, although at 7-4 down he came as close to scratching without doing so as he has ever done.

Boyes, runner-up in the 2015 US Open, carried on to make it 7-5 and at 7-7 he was breaking for the match.

Souquet got back to the table but Boyes was always in control and held on to take an amazing win.

A stunned Boyes said: "I played a bad kick-shot in the first rack and I didn't get out of my seat until the fourth rack and had a real go at the table.

"I don't really know what was going on with the break shots. I was just deciding to smash them as hard as I could and managed to get a bit of luck at the end.

"I wanted to attack the table rather than going out playing stupid safety shots."

Blackpool-based Boyes admitted: "I didn't know I could perform that well under pressure.

"I was shaking on that last rack. I under-hit the seven ball and thought I was going to miss that nine.

"It was one of those crazy matches, I suppose. But it was nice to come back and get the win and book my spot in the semi-finals.

"After that I don't care if I play Ronnie O'Sullivan – it doesn't matter.

"Obviously I got a last-minute spot but I didn't come here to lose. I want to win and now I'm in the semi-finals, so who knows?"

However, that was where Boyes' fairytale run ended as Dutchman Feijen, sidelined for the best part of six months with tendonitis, defeated the Englishman 8-3 on his way to the title.

Feijen said: "Karl is a great guy and we have had some good battles in the past, so that was a great match in the semi-final, and the break started to click really well in that match.

"My timing was good so I thought if I keep breaking like that, I could win the whole thing."

Feijen, who also won the event in 2013, triumphed 8-4 in the final against Shane Van Boening, collecting a cheque for $20,000 and an automatic invitation to compete in next year's Masters.