Vanarama National League North: Salford City 2 Bradford Park Avenue 2

TWO late goals from former Guiseley forward Anthony Dudley rescued a point for Vanarama National League North leaders Salford City and denied Bradford Park Avenue a famous victory at the Peninsula Stadium.

Manchester-born Dudley began his career at nearby Bury and became a crowd favourite at Nethermoor after two loan spells with Guiseley.

His brace after coming off the bench just after the hour will not make him top of former Guiseley boss Mark Bower’s Christmas-card list.

Bower’s Avenue had dropped out of the play-off places after successive defeats to promotion-chasing rivals - Darlington and Blyth Spartans - but with 12 minutes remaining at Salford they looked to be set for a win against the pacesetters.

The Ammies had forced early chances, with Jack Redshaw and Ibou Tourey going close, but Avenue keeper Steve Drench dealt with anything on target.

His opposite number Max Crocombe also had to make a smart save as Nicky Clee sent in a low shot.

Crocombe was beaten as the visitors broke the deadlock at an ideal time - just before the interval.

Clee sent the ball into the area and Avenue skipper Nicky Wroe seized the opportunity.

Bower’s men didn’t hold back and doubled their lead eight minutes into the second half, and it was another moment Crocombe may wish to forget.

He could only a parry a shot from Adam Nowakowski and the big man netted the rebound.

Adam Boyes had a chance to make it three but, after a neat chest trap, he slotted wide from close in.

Salford made changes either side of the hour, and Dudley came on in a double substitution in the 64th minute.

Drench had made two excellent saves as the home side piled the pressure on but as he blocked a 78th-minute effort, Dudley netted his first.

The equaliser followed in the second minute of four added on as he lashed the ball into the top corner.

Bower said: “We’re bitterly disappointed to lose two points right at the end.

“We came with a game-plan to frustrate them, and then the more the game went on it would open up, and that’s how it happened.

"At 2-0 up, I thought we were really, really comfortable and were soaking up what they were throwing at us.

“Maybe we should have gone 3-0 up. We had opportunities on the break and didn’t take them.

"They scored to make it 2-1 and we’ve got to be better at managing the game in those final minutes with the experience we’ve got in our side.”