Guiseley 1 Chester 1

GUISELEY salvaged a point with a last-gasp goal from skipper Ash Palmer but dropped to second bottom in the National League.

Fellow strugglers Solihull Moors defeated high-flying Maidenhead United 3-1 to climb above the Lions, Chester and Torquay who are now propping up the table.

The Lions remain eight points from safety despite having taken five points from their four festive fixtures.

Having won 2-0 at Chester on Boxing Day, Guiseley were looking to complete a double over their rivals, but they ended up grateful for avoiding defeat.

Paul Cox's men looked down on confidence after their 4-0 defeat at Tranmere on Saturday and looked tentative in the first half.

They did go closest to breaking the deadlock in that goalless first half, with the one real chance of note.

Alex Purver’s through ball picked out Rowan Liburd and he made space for a shot, but, with Chester keeper Sam Hornby beaten, the ball hit the bar.

James Roberts had two half chances, a shot blocked and low drive which he hit straight at Hornby.

The Lions had to re-organise their defence minutes before the break when Jake Lawlor’s afternoon was cut short by an injury and Jean-Yves Koue Niate was introduced from the bench.

The Blues thought they had finally broken the deadlock ten minutes into the second half when Ryan Astles turned the ball in at the far post, but it was disallowed for a foul on home keeper Jonny Maxted.

Just after the hour mark Roberts had another chance, curling a shot just wide after a Callum McFadzean knock down.

But a minute later the visitors took the lead, it was good hold up play and a lay-off by James Atintunde to Kingsley James who then drilled a low shot past Maxted.

Both managers made changes and there were more chances, mainly for the visitors as Chester looked for the insurance of a second goal against a lacklustre Guiseley.

The Lions were spared from defeat when skipper Ash Palmer slammed the ball home after a scramble in the area in the fourth minute of stoppage time.