Farsley Celtic 2, Bradford City 1

Peter Thorne is desperate to get over two wasted years.

Thorne's two seasons at Norwich are best forgotten - and it's clear he wants to banish the memories quickly.

City have trumpeted the striker's capture as a sign of intent for next season. And the 34-year-old delivered his own in his first game tonight.

Thorne may have been feeling a twinge from the thigh strain which forced him to miss Harrogate. But you wouldn't have known as he attacked his opening 45 minutes with gusto.

Having rattled off three shots in the first ten minutes, one being ruled out for offside, Thorne got off the mark just after the half hour.

Simon Johnson, a willing companion up front, whipped in a low cross and Thorne stretched out his left leg at the far post to divert it into the bottom corner via the hand of keeper Paul Cuss.

The announcer mistakenly credited the scorer as "Peter Hall" but hopefully League Two will soon know the name very well. The sharpness will come but this was a bright start.

The game was a step-up in intensity from Monday with the Blue Square Premier upstarts keen to make a point against neighbours who are now just one division above.

And it was a blast from City's past who helped deliver Farsley's opening blow after 21 minutes.

Gareth Grant never lived up to his potential at Valley Parade but one thing you could never doubt was his pace. A trademark electric burst had left back Luke O'Brien trailing in his wake and Damien Reeves outmuscled David Wetherall to react first to Grant's cross and score from eight yards.

Grant's speed also unsettled Mark Bower who was undone by the bobbly pitch but fortunately an alert Donovan Ricketts baled him out on the edge of the box.

The big Jamaican, though, was nearly embarrassed seconds later when he raced well out of goal and scuffed a clearance straight at James Knowles.

Ricketts was in no man's land as Ryan Sugden tried his luck at the empty net but missed by a yard - though City protested he had to be offside.

Thorne restored parity and Simon Johnson was only inches over a minute later but the Celts were back in front by the break. Bailey Camfield was given far too much room to cross from the right and Damien Dunne was allowed the same luxury to bury the ball from inside the box.

It was all-change again at the break and City mark two should have levelled straight off but Nathan Joynes chipped too high.

Mark Bower had stayed on but shifted across to the left with Craig Bentham getting a rare go at centre half. City's shape matched up with the non-leaguers who found far less space than they had enjoyed before the break.

Ricketts was having a much quieter time but suddenly sprung into life in the 72nd minute with an alert tip-over to deny a thumping drive from Tris Whitman.

Farsley's change keeper Tom Morgan was not to be outdone four minutes later as he blocked a Joynes header after Barry Conlon had smartly nodded a Paul Evans free-kick into the mix.

That sparked a City rally and Conlon almost had a goal himself, hitting the side-netting after an inviting long ball from right back Darren Williams.

Joynes went even closer late on, swapping passes with Omar Daley and flicking a shot beyond Morgan - only to be foiled on the line by Celts skipper James Knowles.

Conlon crashed a header wide and Evans floated a set-piece the wrong side of the post as City finished strongly.

  • City line-ups - FIRST HALF:
  • Ricketts, Harban, O'Brien, Phelan, Wetherall, Bower, Colbeck, E Johnson, S Johnson, Thorne, Nix.

SECOND HALF: Ricketts, Williams, Bentham, Evans, Clarke, Bower (Hopkins 66), Daley, Penford, Conlon, Joynes, Nix (Taylforth 66).