Gallant City bowed out the FA Cup at Brentford and were then reminded: You’ve nothing to feel sorry about.

The League One high-flyers scored three times in five extra-time minutes to win last night’s second-round replay 4-2.

City, who had twice led, suffered their first loss in 11 cup ties this season but Phil Parkinson was proud of their efforts.

Parkinson had made nine changes to give his regular starters a breather and praised his makeshift line-up for taking Brentford so close.

“The lads had their heads down afterwards and I had to remind them what they had just done,” he said.

“We made complete changes against a team that played a strong side against us, brought on the couple who didn’t play anyway and are at the top of League One.

“I’m not disappointed. I saw their team against the one we put out and thought it would be a really tough night – but we coped well, which shows the quality we’ve got throughout the squad.”

Kyel Reid, making his first appearance for 11 weeks, fired City ahead and Alan Connell restored their lead against his former club four minutes into extra time.

Centre halves Rory McArdle and Carl McHugh were the only players who had started against Southend. Parkinson handed left back Forrayah Bass a debut and used Ritchie Jones at right back to spare Stephen Darby.

The City chief said: “For Zavon (Hines) and Reidy, it was like their reserve game on the way back from injury. They were doing part of their rehab in the second round of the FA Cup.

“I thought the lads were tremendous. Of course we’ve had five minutes where tired legs and the quality of their play cost us.

“Harry Forrester is an exceptional player and we obviously didn’t have a recognised right back, although Ritchie did great there. I really wanted to give Steve a rest because he’s had a few niggles.

“I really wanted to leave the two centre halves out but there wasn’t anyone else to play there. They’ve been immense.

“With Curtis Good and Tom Naylor not being available – which I still think was the wrong call for me – we had to go with those two.”

As well as Bass, youth-team striker Nathan Curtis also got a run out for the second extra period, while rookies Calum Hepworth and Connor Erangey were among the substitutes.

Parkinson said: “It was good for the young players, even the ones on the bench who didn’t get on. They got a feel of how hard you have to work in professional football to get a result.

“Seeing people like Ricky Ravenhill, Rory and Carl and how hard they work, that’s got to inspire you to show what you need to do to get in our team.

“We put demands on the players every week and they’ve given us that effort back. If the young players can buy into that, they’ll be good additions to our squad.”

Meanwhile, City find out tonight who they will face in the Capital One Cup semi-finals.