Guiseley 1 Bradford Park Avenue 1

(aet, Avenue win 4-3 on penalties)

The big UniBond League Challenge Cup derby went to the dramatic conclusion of a penalty shoot-out after 120 minutes of strenuous football could not separate the two old rivals.

It was Avenue who reached the second round with the last of ten spot-kicks as the shoot-out also went right to the wire. The winning strike came from the boot of Simon Parke, who has been so prolific since joining his home-town club.

The 30 minutes of extra-time and nail-biting finale would not have been necessary if Guiseley striker Scott Jackson had worn his shooting boots.

He topped off an under-par display when crashing a penalty, given in injury-time of the regulation 90 minutes, against the crossbar.

That penalty was disputed, as was Guiseley's goal, in a typically pulsating cup tie that lived up to its top billing. The 237 paying fans virtually all stayed right to the death; hardy souls on a chill autumn evening.

They massed behind the goal at the park end of Nethermoor for the penalties and it created an exciting atmosphere.

Avenue, with five former Guiseley men in their starting line-up and another on the bench, dominated the early period as Parke, Liam Flynn and Jamie Longley all went close before Guiseley threatened.

The home side's first real effort stemmed from a good move in the 18th minute which ended with a shot on the turn by Jackson from the corner of the area.

Avenue were under pressure soon after when goalkeeper Piotr Skiba attempted to punch a corner away but only succeeded in directing the ball over his own bar.

A Neil Redfearn free-kick for the visitors flashed a yard wide while one for the home side, taken by skipper Richard Dunning, hit Mark Wilson in Avenue's defensive wall and knocked him off his feet.

The second half of normal time was even better as Avenue pushed with wave after wave of attack only for Guiseley to take the lead, before the visitors netted a late equaliser.

Guiseley's 54th-minute strike was contested by Avenue because it stemmed from a corner awarded despite a Gavin Knight shot going wide without taking a deflection.

Andy Wright whipped in the flag-kick, there were two air shots and a miskick from a defender before Danny Ellis lashed the ball into the net.

A reply was on the cards and it eventually came from Chris Clarke, one of the former Nethermoor contingent.

Clarke, who had been switched from centre back to centre forward in a reshuffle by Avenue manager Phil Sharpe, won a tussle with Sam Denton which left the former Bantams defender on his backside and then netted a firm shot.

That leveller was almost nullified when Guiseley were given a soft award of a spot-kick for Avenue skipper Gary Shaw's challenge on substitute Kevin Sanasy a minute into the three added on.

Jackson may have missed that one but he netted the nervy fifth in the shoot-out after the efforts of Wright and Denton had already been saved by Skiba.

Neil Grayston was the only unsuccessful Avenue man from the spot as Redfearn, Neil Ross, Lee Connor and Parke sent the Division One outfit through at the expense of their Premier Division rivals.

  • Avenue's reserves play host to Rossendale United in the Lancashire League tonight. Kick-off at Horsfall is 7.45pm.