SIR - If someone stands for election to public office via a political party, gets elected and then later decides to leave that party, the only honourable thing to do is to resign and fight a by-election.

Parties supply finance and, crucially, party workers to help to get individual candidates elected. Many people vote for the candidate mainly because she/he represents the party they support.

Without this 'platform' the whole process of getting elected is much harder. The MPs who have recently resigned from their party should do the 'honourable thing.'

David Hornsby, West View Avenue, Wrose