RETIRED Telegraph & Argus snapper Dennis Flatt has died aged 88.

The former T&A chief photographer, who spent 47 years at the paper working under six editors, passed away on Friday in St Luke’s Hospital, Bradford.

His career, which started as a photographer’s assistant at the age of 14, spanned many important events with him being present with his camera at celebrations, triumphs, disasters, riots and murder investigations.

When he retired in 1991, Mr Flatt, of Wibsey, said: “It isn’t those big occasions which make the job most worthwhile. It’s the little things of being a photographer, dealing with the ordinary people.”

The images he captured at the Valley Parade disaster saw him named the Nikon Press Photographer of the Year for his thorough yet sensitive coverage of the disaster.

Richard Dunn’s fight with Muhammad Ali in Munich, the joy of Bradford Northern reaching the top of the game, the Beatles in their dressing room were among other memorable jobs.

In retirement he enjoyed his holidays but over the past ten months his health deteriorated and he was admitted to hospital with pneumonia one week before he died.

He was widowed two years ago after more than 60 years of marriage.

Mr Flatt and his wife Sally had celebrated their Diamond Wedding in 2013.

The couple, who never had children, met at what was the New Victoria Ballroom, now the site of former Odeon in Bradford city centre.

Mrs Flatt worked for 33 years as a warper at W J Whitehead’s Laisterdyke mill. 

Former colleague and retired T&A columnist Mike Priestley paid tribute to Mr Flatt.

“He was a tremendous professional," he said.

"He had the ability to put people at ease almost immediately. I had great respect and affection for Dennis. 

"He had lots of knocks with his health and losing his wife in his later years but he took it stoically.

"He was a lovely man. We thought he would live forever.”

Mr Flatt leaves nephews, nieces and many friends.

One of his nieces said: “Uncle Dennis was very proud of his time with the T&A. He saw lots in that time. 

"He was there at the Valley Parade fire and memories of that never left him. He spoke about it lots.”

Mr Flatt's funeral arrangements will be announced later.