FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house fire last night when a cat switched on an induction hob while its owners were on holiday.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended the fire at an address in Cross Field, Elland, after the pet walked across the hob and turned on the appliance at around 7.30pm on Wednesday, causing cat food, which was left on top of the cooker, to catch fire.

Smoke filled the kitchen and set off an alarm, alerting a neighbour to the blaze.

A crew each from Rastrick and Halifax tackled the fire and were at the address for two hours.

A spokesman for the fire service said the hob was damaged and the home was smoke logged.

The owners were on holiday in Spain when the blaze broke out, but they have been told about the emergency.