FIRE badly damaged a first-floor bedroom of a house in Keighley early this morning.

Firefighters were called out to tackle the blaze, in South Street, at 2.30am.

They wore breathing apparatus and used two hose reel jets to bring the fire under control.

Crews from Keighley, Bingley and Silsden fire stations – plus two investigation officers – attended.

The alarm had been raised by a neighbour and a passing police patrol.

"When we arrived at the scene the bedroom was well alight," said watch commander Michael Rhodes, of Keighley fire station.

"We had it as a 'persons reported' but the house turned out to be unoccupied. We evacuated the neighbouring property as a precautionary measure.

"Fortunately the bedroom door was closed which helped prevent the fire spreading, but there was some smoke damage to the rest of the house."

A special high-pressure fan was used to help clear smoke from the terraced property.

The cause of the fire was accidental.