FIRE chiefs have issued a plea for people to act responsibly after a disposable barbecue sparked a blaze in the open.

Firefighters from Keighley were called out at about 3.25pm today to deal with the incident, in Elam Wood Road, Riddlesden.

They used a hosereel jet to extinguish the flames, which affected an area about 15 metres square.

The incident comes just two days after fire crews from across West Yorkshire tackled a moorland blaze at Marsden.

Following that, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a plea for anyone taking exercise in open areas during the current coronavirus crisis to be extra careful and vigilant.

Firefighters spent about 45 minutes dealing with today's incident.

Crew manager Dom Creed, of Keighley fire service, said: "The area concerned was well alight when we arrived.

"A member of the public out walking raised the alarm.

"It's fortunate that we received the call when we did, because the ground was extremely dry and the fire could easily have spread and required attendance from more crews.

"Please heed advice."

The brigade tweeted: "Despite current measures in place regarding #Coronavirus AND us asking people to #BeMoorAware, today we attended a fire in the open. On this occasion we extinguished the fire quickly, but this could have resulted in another large incident."