THE BRONTË Sisters are coming home to Haworth in the shape of their famous portrait.

The painting by Branwell Brontë is the only known surviving portrait of his sisters Charlotte, Emily and Anne.

The National Portrait Gallery is loaning the picture to the Brontë Parsonage Museum for visitors to examine, from June 1 to August 31.

The painting was painted by Branwell in 1834 and is known as the ‘pillar portrait’ due to the central column he painted to obscure his own figure.

The painting was kept by Charlotte’s husband, Mr Nicholls, and after his death it was discovered folded up in the top of the wardrobe.

It was acquired by the National Portrait Gallery 1914, and this will be its first return to the Parsonage since 1984.

Emily Brontë and Nature is the theme of a talk at the Parsonage Museum on June 5, at both 11.30am and 2pm, exploring Emily’s poetry which was rich in imagery expressing her affinity with landscape and the elements.

The picture can be seen free with admission to the museum. Visit for further information.