A DRIVER who fled the scene of two separate accidents in which two people were left seriously injured will be sentenced next month.

Waqas Hussain, 22, appeared at Bradford Crown Court yesterday to enter guilty pleas to two charges of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, relating to one incident last month and one in July last year.

The court heard that Ammarah Hussain, then 20, had been a passenger in a Volkswagen Golf being driven by Hussain in the Clayton area of Bradford on July 17.

At around 9.45pm that night, Hussain lost control on the junction of Hunters Park Avenue and Bradford Road and the car left the road, demolishing a cast iron postbox before striking a tree and ending up through the garage wall of a nearby house.

Witnesses said at the time that the male driver had given them the name and age of the woman in the car before leaving her trapped in the wreckage.

Firefighters said smoke was pouring from the engine of the car when they arrived, with crews forced to cut its roof off to free the woman, who was described as “slipping in and out of consciousness”, on a spinal board.

In the aftermath of the incident, police said they believed the Golf had travelled in convoy with another car from the Thornton area minutes before the crash.

Hussain went on the run following the incident, but on July 27, police indicated they “knew the identity of the man they were looking for.”

In December, an official appeal naming Hussain was issued in a bid to trace him.

The court was told yesterday that on February 26, Hussain was behind the wheel of another VW Golf involved in a crash that left at least one pedestrian injured on Summerville Road, Shearbridge.

He also pleaded guilty to drink-driving, failing to stop after an accident, and driving without a licence or insurance in connection with that incident.

The court was not told whether Hussain, of Spencer Road, Lidget Green, Bradford, was on bail or still on the run at the time of the second crash.

His barrister, Mohammed Nawaz, said of his client: “It is his wish to be sentenced sooner rather than later, but the matter is in the court’s hands.”

Richard Walters, prosecuting, said there was CCTV footage of “pedestrians being struck” in the February crash that was still to be reviewed.

He said: “It is potentially an important piece of evidence for the sentencing court.”

Mr Walters said that as yet, there was no victim impact statement from Miss Hussain in relation to the Clayton crash.

He said that the victim of the Summerville Road collision, Majid Abdul, had provided an impact statement, but that it may need to be updated to inform any sentencing exercise.

The court also heard that there may be some additional medical evidence to assist the judge dealing with the case, and Mr Walters requested an adjournment to allow all matters to be addressed.

Recorder Tahir Khan QC said: “It seems to me that if there is CCTV of the second incident the sentencing judge ought to be able to be in a position to watch it.”

He told Hussain that all matters would be concluded prior to his sentencing hearing on April 24.

He said: “You have pleaded guilty to some very serious offences. You will stay in custody until then.”