A CRACK cocaine user who was involved in a high-speed pursuit around a housing estate only nine days after being given police bail has been jailed for 22 months.

In August, 42-year-old Craig Stanley breached a restraining order by assaulting his partner at her Shipley home, but just over a week later he sped away from police after he being spotted driving a Vauxhall Meriva without insurance and without a licence.

Prosecutor Patrick Palmer told Bradford Crown Court on Monday that during the pursuit, which started shortly before 11pm on a Saturday, Stanley drove at up to 70mph in 30mph zones and went through a red light on the wrong side of the road.

Mr Palmer said Stanley was effectively doing "circuits" of the Holme Wood estate before he eventually crashed into a parked van.

"The defendant still managed to keep driving for a short distance before he stopped and attempted to run off," said Mr Palmer.

The court heard that Stanley already had more than 30 convictions for nearly 70 offences on his record although he had no previous offences of dangerous driving.

At a hearing earlier this month Stanley, of Hall Street, Shipley, admitted breaching the restraining order and assaulting his partner and yesterday he was sentenced for those matters together with the dangerous driving, driving without a licence and without insurance.

Solicitor advocate Andrew Walker, for Stanley, conceded that his client had problems with Class A drugs, but he said the defendant had tried to address the addiction with a degree of success following his release from a previous jail sentence in May.

Mr Walker said Stanley's use of crack cocaine was the catalyst for the domestic violence offences, but his partner was still standing by him.

He urged Judge Jonathan Rose to consider suspending the inevitable prison sentences saying that Stanley was now at a crossroads in his life.

But the judge said Stanley had an unenviable record and the restraining order imposed by the court appeared to have had no impact on him whatsoever.

Judge Rose said the dangerous driving offence committed while on bail indicated that Stanley did not care one jot for the law.

He ordered the forfeiture of the Vauxhall car used by Stanley in the incident and jailed him for 14 months on the dangerous driving.

But the judge added a further eight months to the sentence for the assault matters and breaching the restraining order.

Stanley was also banned from driving for three years and he must take and pass an extended driving test at the end of the disqualification period.