A BANNED driver caused up to £10,000 damage when he crashed into parked cars, a wall and a bus stop during a police chase that reached speeds of 110mph.

Kiel Tahir, 28, lost control of his father's Volkswagen Golf after taking it without permission and leading the police on a pursuit from Bradford to Keighley.

Tahir, of Chelwood Drive, Allerton, Bradford, pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, driving while disqualified and having no insurance.

Prosecutor Caroline Abraham told Bradford Crown Court that Tahir was ordered to stop by the police in Chelwood Road at 3.20am on January 8.

He made off and was pursued along Thornton Road and Allerton Road to Keighley at speeds of 80mph to 110mph. He crashed into the back of a parked Ford Fiesta on a bend shortly before Utley, injuring his passenger, Robert Whitford, who suffered a broken collar bone.

The court heard that Mr Whitford did not want to provide a police statement.

The Golf struck a bus stop, a lamppost and a stone wall and shunted the Ford Fiesta into three other stationary vehicles.

Miss Abraham said the total bill for the damage was put at £7,000 to £10,000.

The court heard that Tahir had one previous conviction. He was fined and banned from driving for 18 months last year for driving with excess alcohol.

His barrister, Peter Hampton, conceded that Tahir crashed during a high speed chase while banned from driving.

Mr Hampton said Tahir suffered from a number of mental health issues, including depression, anxiety and stress. He was forced to marry when he was 16 and the relationship had broken down.

Mr Hampton also submitted that Tahir had been a hard working man, employed in the construction industry and by Sky and Virgin Media but he was now unable to work because he suffered with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome that caused fitting and choking.

"His life has been plagued by it for a number of years. He feels useless because he can no longer provide for his family," he said.

Tahir also had a panic disorder that lay behind his "terrible decision" to take his father's car that night.

Judge David Hatton QC said that although it was a serious piece of dangerous driving, Tahir would be better assisted by receiving help in the community, rather than serving the relatively short prison sentence the law allowed him to impose.

He sentenced Tahir to 14 months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and a 30-day rehabilitation activity requirement. Tahir was also made subject to a three month electronically monitored curfew and banned from driving for 12 months, and until he takes an extended retest.

Judge Hatton told him: "Quite what got into you that evening, I am not entirely sure."