A Bradford University student was found murdered on a blood-soaked bed after two knife-wielding robbers tortured him and plundered his bank account, a jury heard.

Tony Ho, 19, was discovered by his sister with his throat slashed and multiple stab wounds, Bradford Crown Court was told yesterday.

The chemistry and forensic science student was targeted by two men who blamed one another for the brutal killing, prosecutor Paul Greaney QC told the jury.

Mr Greaney said Mr Ho’s sister, Sally, 22, a pharmacy student, was struck on the head with a vodka bottle, bound to a chair, gagged and left in a dark cellar room.

Her boyfriend, law student Gavin Stolarczyk, 30, was stabbed in the side and tied up.

All three were attacked on the afternoon of January 22 last year at the student accommodation they shared in Grantham Road, Great Horton, Bradford. Two 21-year-old Iraq Kurds, Reaben Kareem and Jwanru Osman, deny Mr Ho’s murder.

Kareem, of Coal Pool, Walsall, West Midlands, pleads guilty to wounding Miss Ho and Mr Stolarczyk with intent to cause them grievous bodily harm and conspiracy to rob.

Osman, of Northolt, Middlesex, denies those charges.

Mr Greaney said Mr Ho was stabbed 13 times and his throat slashed. A knife was five times driven right through his arms and he had wire round his neck.

Miss Ho had head and facial injuries and ligature marks to her wrists and Mr Stolarczyk a wound that passed close to major organs, Mr Greaney said.

The jury heard Kareem planned the robbery because he was a gambling addict desperate to repay his father after taking £920 from his bank account.

Mr Greaney alleged Kareem recruited Osman as his “willing helper and henchman.”

Kareem knew Mr and Miss Ho, who were Hong Kong nationals, received substantial financial support from their parents.

The court heard that Kareem was armed with a machete and Osman with a pipe-like weapon likely to be a wheelbrace. Later, both had knives, it is alleged.

Kareem is said to have told Miss Ho: “All I want is £10,000 and I have a plane ticket back to my country tomorrow morning.”

After Mr Ho’s murder, the pair fled to the London area and, separately, handed themselves into the police.

Mr Greaney said Kareem used Miss Ho’s credit card after the killing and was arrested wearing Mr Ho’s training shoes.

The trial continues.