North Ferriby 2 Guiseley 2

An action-packed contest saw Guiseley come away from the league leaders with a hard-earned point that could so easily have been three.

Sam Denton's suspension provided a return for Chris Clarke - an effective striker early season - in his more accustomed defensive role, while North Ferriby fielded two ex-Guiseley centre-backs in Neil Allison and Lee Connor.

It was Allison who unwittingly set up a goal for the visitors by heading down a ball into the box after only two minutes. Scott Jackson met it sweetly with his left foot from 20 yards to leave Antoni Pecora helpless.

Ferriby responded quickly through the lively Leon Wainman, but a combination of Nathan Hay and 'keeper Matt Taylor kept the ball out. Then Chris Bolder fired over following Taylor's indecisive punch. After 20 minutes Jackson's free-kick was well saved by Pecora, before Taylor more than matched it with a blinding stop from Rob Smith. Next, a Jackson tackle put Danny Forrest clear only for Pecora to save at his feet.

It was proving a fascinating contest between two sides committed to attack, but United's equaliser on the half-hour contained an air of dj vu for Guiseley fans. Michael Price's corner swung outwards and a bullet header from Lee Connor gave Taylor no chance.

The end-to-end action continued. Pecora saved from Jackson and Taylor from Price, while the Guiseley stopper had to race out to clear a through ball.

The closing minutes of the half contained two bad injuries. Firstly, home skipper Bolder was stretchered off after an innocuous Tony Lennon challenge, with Chris Gowen coming on. Then Neil Grayston was hurt in a shuddering 50-50, but played on temporarily. Inbetween, the lively Jackson hooked over Hay's long throw and Smith went close again. It had been a breathtaking 45 minutes, with nothing between two impressive sides.

The second-half had barely begun when Grayston succumbed to his injury - and the curse of the number three shirt - to be replaced by Steve Ball. However, a minute later Guiseley were ahead. Jez Illingworth made a nuisance of himself at a free-kick, and harassed right-back Carl Wood put through his own goal.

A challenge on Jackson put Price in the book and Lennon, providing a much-needed note of unpredictability in Guiseley's midfield, went close to increasing their lead, but soon Ferriby began to show why they are top of the table.

On the hour a foul on Graham Botham allowed Price to test Taylor again and from the ensuing corner Nathan Hotte's exquisite flick at the near post restored parity.

This would be the acid test for Guiseley's new-found solidity, and they were not found wanting. Clarke was proving a rock in defence, while behind him Taylor got in the way of everything. Indeed the nearest the home side came to taking the lead was a Hay clearance that ricocheted off Botham and narrowly over.

In the midfield, Lennon and Mark Stuart prompted, Matty Smithard chased and towards the end Tom Marsden, on for the hardworking Forrest up front, was unlucky with a couple of efforts.

The closing minutes could have seen the points go either way. Guiseley survived another Price free-kick and a handball claim against Hay, while Stuart wriggled through only for Pecora to prevent his cutback reaching Jackson.

Scott Williams replaced the struggling Smithard in the last minute, but even then the visitors could have won it as the previously-immaculate Pecora almost spilled a Stuart shot over the line.

With hindsight, it would have been an unjust end to a game that provided a wonderful advertisement for the League.